New
Find
Notify
Tools

4831 Vs. 4831 SC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are the weights for these loads interchangeable ? Is 75 grains of 4831 in a 300 Win Mag w/a 180 gr., interchangeable with 75 grns. of 4831SC for a 300 Win Mag? Thanks for the assistance.

B

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Yes. They are the same.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful when you speak of 4831 that you indicate which BRAND.

H-4831 and H-4831sc can be used interchangeably though I don't think anyone would recommend mixing.

But DO NOT confuse with IMR-4831 which is a hotter powder. Though Hodgdons now owns IMR, the powders are different.

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also, even with H-4831, check to see if it the older powder which is slower than the new stuff. New lots of H-4831 are identical, given lot to lot variation.

Ask me how I know. Yikes!

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes- These are both H versions, and are new powders. I'm not planning on mixing;sorryfor the confusion there. Just wanting to know if the load development and weights are the same.

Thanks for your assistance.

Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does H4831 with a little symbol saying extreme make a difference or is all H4831 the same.

and H4350 the same as H4350 with the extreme symbol?

Posts: 117 | Location: colorado springs, co. | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While the current "H-4831" and "H-4831 SC", both produced by ADI of Australia, are represented to have identical burning characteristics, I do not believe that it is possible to make two powders so physically different and still have them behave identically. While the tested "speed" may be the same, there have to be some variations in flame duration, temperature, and how they behave in cases of differing capacities, as well as how their burning rate may vary with pressure.

That said, I suspect that the two powders are largely interchageable with loads that are not at the edge of the "envelope", so to speak, in regard to pressure or with outsized cases and low loading densities. IF your "favorite" load is near maximum pressure, or IF it is a low-pressure load for a high expansion ratio cartridge/bore, or in any other example that is at the "fringes", I would excersize great caution in substituting one for the other.

In any situation, they should be treated at a minimum just like you would treat changing from one lot of powder to another.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by wtman:
Does H4831 with a little symbol saying extreme make a difference or is all H4831 the same.

and H4350 the same as H4350 with the extreme symbol?

The extreme symbol does not make a difference - same powder...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62 Thank you!

Posts: 117 | Location: colorado springs, co. | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I agree with Stonecreek. That being said I have found awesome performance using 77 g. of H4831 with a 180 Accubond using W-W brass. The W-W brass seems to have a larger capacity than some of the other brands I've tried. Obviously you will want to work up to that load in your own shooter to see if it is a workable load. Two of my sons used that load this past fall to collect two large muley bucks at extended ranges with devasting results. JMHO

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Teancum

What sort of accuracy are you getting with that load, what is the O.A.L of cartridge and primer used?

I am awaiting delivery of my first .300 Win Mag and shall be looking for sutiable accuracy loads and have aleeady ammased 200 W-W new cases.

BTW The rifle is to be a vanguard sub-moa.

Thanks.

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice post Stonecreek.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I was getting groups of 5 shots under 2 inches before I put on a Vais muzzle brake. What that did was reduce the recoil tremendously and not increase the noise level much if any. That allowed the groups to drift down to a 1" to 1.5" with 5 shots. Proof to me that the rifle, A Wichester Model 70 syn stock and the load was capable of better accuracy which seemed to be limited by me and my shooting. I tested these loads starting at 74 g. of H4831 and worked my way up to 77 g. What was interesting was that it seemed as though I could feel an increase in recoil as each new load increased the powder charge. Final velocity out of a 26" barrel was 3190 fps. Again just what we were looking for in our open country around here for longer range deer and elk with that combination of bullet and powder. JMHO

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote