New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 WSM - Tikka T3 reloads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking into some reload data for my 270 WSM. I am currently shooting Federal Premium Vital Shok 130 grain Nosler Ballastic Tips.

Federal advertises 3300 fps and that round chronographed from my rifle is doing 3228 fps.

I am interested in reloading some Hornady SST 130 grain bullets with Winchester mag primers, but looking for a good powder to start with. I want to keep it in the 3200+ fps range with good accuracy. I am leaning towards IMR4350 or H4831. What powder do you recommend?

Posts: 32 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load for four .270 WSM's for myself son and grandsons. The 130 grain bullets are North Fork, Nosler Solidbase-Ballistic Tips-Partition, Barnes TSX. The 140 grain bullets are Barnes TSX, Nosler Ballistic Tips-Accubonds, Sierra Gameking, uncoated Failsafe. The 150 grain bullets are Nosler Partition, North Forks. The 160 grain bullets are Nosler Partition. After extensive shooting over the years RL-22 stands out for the 130 grainers, RL-25 for the 140 grainers, Magpro for the 150 grainers as well as the 160's. I use the Fed 210M primers for all. I get 3450 fps out of the 130 North Forks with 68 grains of RL-22, all other powders and bullets are 100 fps slower with the 130's. 68 grains of RL-25 is magic for all the 140 grainers with exceptional groups. 67 grains of Magpro for the 160's with very good accuracy. All my barrels don't shoot the 150 quite as well as all the other sizes. This is an awesome round that in my opinion is the perfect Deer rifle. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the 130 grain Barnes TSX the hollow point boat tail or the spitzer boat tails?

Posts: 32 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both the 130 and 140 grain Barnes TSX bullets are the hollow points. I used the 140 grainer on a 180 pound Mule Deer Buck in Colorado. A 275 yard shot that was doing 3225 fps that was a lung shot that had a bullet sized hole on entrance and silver sized hole on exit. The Deer jumped straight up in the air and came down on his back dead as a door nail. I couldn't have asked for better results. Good shooting.

phurley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
Both the 130 and 140 grain Barnes TSX bullets are the hollow points. I used the 140 grainer on a 180 pound Mule Deer Buck in Colorado. A 275 yard shot that was doing 3225 fps that was a lung shot that had a bullet sized hole on entrance and silver sized hole on exit. The Deer jumped straight up in the air and came down on his back dead as a door nail. I couldn't have asked for better results. Good shooting.

Thanks for the information! I might go with them versus the Hornady SST. I have read great things about the Barnes TSX at advanced speeds where other rounds perform subpar.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a grandson that wants only the 140 grain Nosler Accubond because he has had tremendous succcess with it on Deer. The Barnes bullets are super accurate in all my rifles. The North Fork 130 grainer is a one holer as far as accuracy is concerned and super flat shooting. I have just this week started on the 160 grain Nosler Partition and it so far is a .5 group shooter and at 2960 fps promises to be a good Elk getter. I was lucky enough to find the 130 grain Nosler Solidbase bullet for a song and bought enough to last me a lifetime, it is also super accurate and kills Deer with authority. Good luck and Good shooting.

phurley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also look at RL-17 powder. I have had good luck with it and 130 Barnes MRX bullets out of my Kimber Montana in 270 WSM. And the Montana in 270 WSM is notoriously picky.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BayouBob:
You might also look at RL-17 powder. I have had good luck with it and 130 Barnes MRX bullets out of my Kimber Montana in 270 WSM. And the Montana in 270 WSM is notoriously picky.

I have been curious about the RL-17, RL-19 and RL-22 powders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well my die set and bullets arrived. Time to do some testing. I will start with H4831 because that is what is readily available. IMR4350 will be the next powder that I try.

I sure wish manufacturers would sell powder is like a 4 to 8 ounce can for testing purposes. One pound is a darn lot of powder to waste if you dislike it! Frowner