Find
Notify
Tools

Doughnuts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of pshooter
posted
Over the years I've seen many new loaders having trouble visualizing doughnuts and their location. I drew these up for reference.

Hope this helps some!

I can't decide if I shoot to load, or load to shoot! The line between the two is very thin!

Posts: 48 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
That's what I call a perfectly seated bullet!

I have expanded a few 303 Brit cases to .411 and that doh-nut has moved to the outside, making it very visible. (I'll try membering to post a pic).

Great drawing! (Would you happen to have a drawing of a rifle chamber throat?) Wink

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pshooter
posted Hide Post
Yep! Larry's a great guy! I shot with him on his club range two summers ago. He's very very knowledgeable and helpful. He also gave me a copy of his ballistic software!

The donutCuter link doesn't work (for me anyway).

303Guy
Nope, no throat drawings! Sorry!

I can't decide if I shoot to load, or load to shoot! The line between the two is very thin!

Posts: 48 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I fixed the link.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is funny! Big Grin 30 years ago I worked this out to measure seating pressure for my revolvers because of differences in brass.
I just start the bullet and then seat with the spring steel rod. The rod through the handle has a wire link to the long rod. The short rod is marked so when it is drawn out of the handle, a faucet washer slides to a mark and stays there until I read it.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.....and people who neck turn with hand held turners "because it's the thing to do/BR shooters do it" have a hard time imagining they are doing more harm than good...................

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Then there was the IHMSA shooter that told everyone he uses nothing but new, unfired virgin brass for each shoot. I have made many brass tests over the years that just made me laugh about all the wasted money he was spending.
This target was shot at 50 yd with new .44 brass and I had 5 different group positions. Imagine trying to hit a 200 meter ram with these? dancing

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Excellent representation pshooter. thumb

Mind if I copy those and use them in the future?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pshooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Woods!

Copy and use em any way you like!

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
How do you know if you have a donut or not and what is the remedy? Inside neck turning?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
How do you know if you have a donut or not and what is the remedy? Inside neck turning?

Hey Doc, only 2 ways I know of to detect do-nuts. Either stick a bullet down the neck of a FIRED UNSIZED case and see if a do-nut stops it at the neck/shoulder junction or use pin gauges.

It is almost impossible to detect a do-nut in a factory chamber because the neck expands so large that the bullet will bypass the do-nut even if it is there. They mostly happen in a tight necked chamber where you set up to have .003" neck cleaance or less.

I only have one rifle that will develop a do-nut and only in one kind of case, a 280AI with a .313" neck and only with Nosler brass. It stops a bullet

I use a Forster hand held outside neck turner to turn the brass so it will fit the tight neck so I use a Forster reamer to get rid of the do-nut

the reamer is .003" over caliber diameter and after firing the inside of the neck is exactly that size.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote