Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you dispose of old rounds???
 Login/Join

posted
I recently inherited a whole bunch of reloading equipment and ammunition. I have a lot of ammuntion in very small amounts (1-5 rounds) from different calibers that my Grandpa must have used over the years. I also have 100's of rounds in calibers I DO own that he reloaded. Unfortunately he didn't label the loads very well and I really don't know what kind of charges he put in them and what rifle he was shooting them out of, in the cases where I have more than one rifle of the same caliber. I don't feel comfortable shooting the reloads he did, not knowing what they are. I also have no use for the odd ball rounds that I have 3 of. Several are rusted and or unusable. I can't imagine I should just throw live ammunition away. Help?? What can I do with this stuff?

Posts: 8 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If you reload you can pull the bullets from the calibers you want to keep, weigh new charges and reload them with new powder as "100's" of rounds don't come cheap. As for the trash rounds, pull them, dump the powder, oil the primer and throw the rest in the trash. Of course, not if you live where dump workers will panic if they see rounds, then just dig a little hole in the yard and cover them up.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take it to your local sheriff's office or PD. Act really dumb and worried about it and they'll probably take it off your hands and dispose of it in the proper bureaucratic manner. I'd call them on the phone first and see what they say. Or, ya got any buddies that ocean fish? [Wink]

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Take it to your local sheriff's office or PD. Act really dumb and worried about it and they'll probably take it off your hands and dispose of it in the proper bureaucratic manner. I'd call them on the phone first and see what they say. Or, ya got any buddies that ocean fish? [Wink]

You're kidding, right?

If you don't want the ammo, go to the nearest rifle range or gun store and give it to the guy at the counter. I guarantee that they will take it and make use of it.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me kid? [Razz]

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
500:

He is afraid to shoot the ammo himself, so you suggest he give it to a stranger to shoot? Now that is beautiful!

Actually the suggestion that he take it to the local police and have them dispose of it is the best idea. (Or the nearest National Guard Armory.)

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing good ever came of involving the cops in anything.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
How deep is lake stevens? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I tried giving a similar assortment of old ammo to the state boys here and they refused, stating they only took ammo and related items (primers, powder) that were from a crime scene. They claimed the city and county boys had the same policy.
I asked the desk guy if I threw the bag of ammo in the door and ran if it would be impounded, but dropped the idea when he didn`t smile.
I know they have a disposal site just down the road and thought they might enjoy adding to the pile the next time they had a fire.
I ended up burying mine..

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I'd atleast pull and re-use the bullets,fertilise the lawn with the powder,For a good # of brass I'd contemplate taking out the de-capping pin and reloading with light target loads.Clay.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about collectors? Maybe you could give them to some collectors on the net?

How about EBAY....

Later,,, and good luck...

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Perfect excuse to buy several new guns in those calibers. Then pull the bullets, then fertilize your wife's roses with the old powder, reload the primed brass with an appropriate known powder charge, and fire away !!!! If the wife doesn't consider the free fertilizer adequate compensation for the new guns, trade her in !!!

Or just trade or give the primed brass and/or bullets to someone who DOES load that caliber.

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We always used to say, "spray WD40 in the case to deaden the primer". Recently I've heard that doesn't work all the time. Dump them off at the nearest police station. What I usually do is pull the bullets with a Quinetics inertia puller, gingerly remove the primers with my sizing die, gingerly being the key word here. If the cases fit in your rifle you can fire the primers off in your garage or at least outside. When removing primers don't place your body over them.
Stand off a foot or two so an accidental discharge won't get you in the face. Powder for fertilizer is an excellent idea, but work it in the soil so someone doesn't toss a cigarete butt where you've thrown the powder. If you place some cotton in the nose of the bullet puller it'll keep you from damaging the bullet noses in case you want to re-use them. There's no problem here, just use caution. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
I'd just bury them in a deep hole..about a foot or 2 deep. Somewhere where they'll rest for a hundred years or so. Maybe toss'em in the ooooiest goooiest swamp you can find...I have 200
+ or so hot loaded 45 colt reloads hanging around and I think I'll do just that one of these days. I'm not pulling ALL those bullets

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by COOPDUCK:
[" Help?? What can I do with this stuff?"[/QB]

THE LAKE COOPDUCK. THE LAKE.

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
IF I am not going to shoot old handloads, I pull the bullets, use the powder for lawn fertilizer, and reuse the bullets and cases. If there's a chance the primers are corrosive, I deprimer the cases (NON-CRIMPED-in primers only!!) and dump them into a jar full of oil to kill them, then dispose of them in a safe dump.

If the ammo is factory stuff, I just store the calibers for which I don't currently have a gun. Who knows? You may have one in that caliber in the future!