New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need 150 grain loads for 8X57
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The subject says it all. I bought a box of 150 speer hot cores yesterday. Heres the powders I have. IMR 4064, IMR 4320, IMR 4350, R 19, Varget, H 4350, H 4895. I already checked the usually places for data, just seeing if anyone gots any other loads. Want a good deer load.

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
150 psp horn. aa2520 50.5
RPcase FED Mag 3/22/01 2686-2742 fps
beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Secure yourself a membership at www.ammoguide.com and therein avail yourself to the wealth of information regarding reloading. They have a new thing over there that allows you to see all the loads they have developed for this or that powder when using a certain bullet, assuming they have used the bullet you want to use. Say you have the powders you list. You can input any of them and see all the loads for that powder that have been loaded up and verified for various bullet designs/weights as used by the member who developed it. For less than $20 a year, why not give it a try? I'm a member and love it...

I just went there. They have 44 loads for 150-grain bullets by various manufacturers. They show one loading using IMR-4350 powder for the 8x57 Mauser (something called a JS). Load developer says he used "pointed bullets" in the load. I can't put the load data here because we have a thing over at ammoguide that more or less prohibits us from disseminating the stuff we read over there. It's a liability thing, so we keep our lips zipped. Saeed, basing his site out of our country, can have load data on his site because I can't sue him if I use a load you give me and it blows up in my face. It was my doing to load your data, but there are those who would sue ammoguide for what they themselves did. Anyone who reloads ought to be aware that things can happen, but there are always those who want to sue for something...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
homebrewer, I'll take a looksy, gonna go load up some in a bit. Try the few loads I do have. I need to get away a bit from the wife and kids so I can concentrate, the best place for me is at the bench or out shooting.

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the best place for me is at the bench or out shooting.

In 100% agreement with you there-- and I ain't even married...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of doctorxring
posted Hide Post

Work with 4064 around 49 to 51 grains.

Happiness is a tight group

Posts: 1524 | Location: Don't Mess With Texas | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I used the lowest listed load of 4320 in my hornandy manual(I forget what it was exactly)And got tremendous accuracy from my old turk.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest you work up to 49.5 gr of H4895 (excellent powder for that weight bullet in the 8x57). That is Lyman's new max load for IMR4895 (old max was 51.5 gr which I have used as it duplicates the WWII German load). I recently worked up using Hornady 150 gr SPs and H4895. I used a Yugo M24/47 that was set up to also test pressure via an Oehler M43. I was using WW cases with WLR primers with the OAL at 3.18". Muzzle velocity was 2800 fps and the MAP was 49,300 psi(M43). Accuracy for the 10 shot string was 1.5 moa. with the first 5 shots going into less than 1 MOA. This is a very good load and is deadly on deer from my experience. Suggest as always you drop down and work up in your rifle.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote