New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Reloaders First Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some of you on this forum have helped me tremendously with my re-loading endeavors just a couple of months ago.

As a beginner to this sport and hobby I was waiting until this hunt was finished so I could get started "rolling" my own for the first time.

Well, the hunt is over! I took along my 18 year old son and this is the first hunt for the both of us.

We booked a two-day guided hunt on the Big Island of Hawaii. We took all the game we had planned to hunt. We hunted Black Hawaiian Rams & Mouflon-Hybrids, Spanish Hawaiian Goats, and Polynesian Wild Boars.

5 SHOTS, 5 KILLS, 5 TROPHIES!!!!!

We are a happy family and we are enjoying the success we experienced on our first hunt!

Thanks to all who have imparted so much to me as a newbie to all of this!

I dedicate this HUNT to you all!!!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice! That pig sure has some large tusks.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job!!!! thumb
Those rams are excellent!!!
A hunt you and your son won't ever forget..

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job. Now you understand what the total package feels like. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Obviously some good hunting & excellent trophies!

Well Done - a hearty "Waidmannsheil!" from the Fatherland.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you and your son on an excellent hunt. You might be a "Late Bloomer," but it seems it didn't take you long to catch on.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
HOLY CRAP!!! That is awsome!! Way to go, and congrats to you and your son.

But, you have committed the ULTIMATE TEASE!!

You post pics like that among your AR brothers/sisters and don't bother telling us about the rifles? Shot distances? Bullets/powders, etc.??!!!

Yo, finish what you started!! Lets hear details! thumb

(but I may have to read them next week after my return from Alberta. We leave in 2 hours).

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Fantastic, LB

That Polynesian Wild Boar is a helluva lot prettier than our local pigs!

Are you gonna mount all of them?

Looks like your son's ram is bigger than your's though! clap

Now it's time to get down to reloading. I think you did it backwards. Your supposed to reload and then go hunting. Big Grin

PM me when you are at the bench and start the reloading process.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
Fantastic, LB

That Polynesian Wild Boar is a helluva lot prettier than our local pigs!

Are you gonna mount all of them?

Looks like your son's ram is bigger than your's though! clap

Now it's time to get down to reloading. I think you did it backwards. Your supposed to reload and then go hunting. Big Grin

PM me when you are at the bench and start the reloading process.

Hey WOODS-

I'll be reloading real soon!!! I'll give you a PM when ready.... Thanks!!!

Yep, both the boy's Ram & Goat are MONSTERS for the area we hunt according to our guide Pat Fisher. My son Joshua has made me a very Proud Dad!!!

Since its our first hunt we'll mount all of them as a memory of the success and incredible fun we had!!!

Take care & God Bless you my friend!

L-B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
HOLY CRAP!!! That is awsome!! Way to go, and congrats to you and your son.

But, you have committed the ULTIMATE TEASE!!

You post pics like that among your AR brothers/sisters and don't bother telling us about the rifles? Shot distances? Bullets/powders, etc.??!!!

Yo, finish what you started!! Lets hear details! thumb

(but I may have to read them next week after my return from Alberta. We leave in 2 hours).

Hey Doc-

It's been awhile, nice to hear from you! I hope you got some good reviews on that hunt when you get back!

Like I said earlier, I was waiting for this hunt to be over with, before I start to roll my own. I had picked up two new rifles for my son and myself, and we got off the bench and practiced field positions real hard training for this hunt. We both used Harris Swivel-Type Bipods for the hunt.

I just didn't have enough time to do proper load development for both of these rifles.

Anyways, we shot the Savage 111FHNS 30-06 Rifles using Winchester 150Gr Power-points.

At the shooting range we were printing 1 MOA groups @ 100 yds consistently with this factory ammo. We went into the hunt with alot of confidence. We practiced field positions at distances of 100 yds., 230 yds., and 300 yds. with great hunting accuracy. We did this at least 1-2x a week for 2 consecutive months. We were prepared!

My son's Monster 34 1/2" Ram was shot @ 150 yds. through semi-dense timber straight-on chest shot slightly quartering. He hit him hard exactly where he had aimed and took out a lung, he took 8 steps and he was down.

My Ram, it was a 75 yd. shot! We got in some dense cover and was able to stalk within this distance. The one I initially was going for was huge, but he got spooked and took off. We didn't know there was a small herd of about 15 sheep in a ravine directly behind the first one that took off. A couple sheep had cautiously come up the ravine and I passed, then my Ram a beautiful 29" x 27" wide came up, he stopped for 2 seconds and I drilled him with the same shot as my son, front chest cavity slightly quartering away
and took out a lung. He turned as if to walk away, and took 3-4 steps and he went down hard.

We went to another part of the island to hunt for the Spanish Goats. Super-awesome spot'n-stalk hunt on rolling hills and many long, but shallow ravines. It was a tougher hunt than the sheep most definitely.

My son had a 145 yd. broad-side shot into some swirling winds, but he drilled the billy right on target again; the billy took off hard but we found him about 15 yds down in a culvert.

My billy was a super-tough shot. We had just left a ridge where we had stalked a herd of about 18 goats; but from our vantage-point we could not get off a shot on some of the more larger ones that were directly beneath us, about a 200 yard shot. We decided to re-postion ourselves on another hilltop further away to gain a better vantage point on them.

So we backed out of there crawling on all fours, went down the hill and as we were crossing one of the long, shallow ravines all of a sudden I looked to the right and I see this billie's head and neck sticking out behind this large rock out-cropping 125 yds down the ravine. He had some horns, that's basically all I could see! We hit the deck immediately and got in some dense cover in the 3' tall fountain grass. I told the guide, I can take him... He said back-off if I get uncomfortable with the shot. I sighted him in my scope and I told the guide where exactly do you want me to put the bullet, he said right where his neck meets his shoulders...., that's the only shot you got! The rest of his entire body was behind that out-cropping. He said, I think you should back-off, its a really tough shot!!! I said, I'm sure I can take him, I got three inches max to drill him next to that rock jutting-out! I can take him! Are you SURE??? I said, YES!!! He said, Take him now!!! I drilled him on the spot, he went down really hard!!!

I had to take-out this big boy and make the shot, or else we wouldn't have been able to cross the ravine to get on another ridge top to shoot some of those larger billies that we had left to re-position ourselves upon.

Anyways, right after I hit this billy, the guide grabs my son and takes off and sprints to the top of that other ridgetop 80 yds away to get off a shot on some of the billies that had taken off after my shot.

Believe it or not, my son said he set up his rifle with his bipod as he sees these billies coming his way at a distance out of this ravine. The guide glasses and points out another monster billy and tells my boy to follow that goat in his scope. He says he's going to call'em to stop, and if he stops, drill him hard that second. That was his awesome 145 yard broadside shot.

Now, to the boar the next evening at 7 pm. Last day of our hunt. We're hunting at a different location and elevation above sea level.

After driving for about 45 minites in some beautiful terrain the guide informs me that the worst has just happened! He says, the winds have turned against us and are no longer in our favor. I said no problem we've already done great the day before, why not enjoy the drive in some beautiful country under the bright Hawaiian moonlight. As we're happily driving up this old volcano 30 minutes later guess what, the guide whispers to me with a huge smile, Do you smell that??? I said yeah as he kept driving up the hill grinning. I said, what is that stench, that's super bad??? He said there's a dead carcass out here somewhere. He said when we find it, we will find boars guaranteed......

We jumped out and went into several ravines and followed that horrid stench. The closer we got to it, we could hear the boars fighting, trying to lay claim of this carcass. We continued to follow the stench and the screeching of these boars going off. We couldn't see a thing in the brush and the grasses and boulders were too tall, but within 15 minutes we were on top of a full-out brawl. My heart was racing and pounding outside of my chest, real, real bad!!!
The moment of truth had arrived!!!

We got within 17 yards of this treacherous melee and the guide says you need to make this shot!!!!!

You see, inadvertently, we discovered we were standing on this pig trail in heavy, heavy brush. These wild boars had no where else to go other than the opposite side of the trail we were on. There was absolutely no way the boars and the two of us could stay on the same trail together; the mountain was too steep and dense with foilage. The dead carcass sat directly in the middle of this very, very narrow pig trail. It's either them or us!!!! I didn't like the odds!!!!

The guide whispers to me in the midst of all this free-for-all and says, and motions to me that the wind is going to change any second now and you need to make the shot up ahead of us and get ready to re-chamber immediately the entire magazine if needs be!!!! Eeker

In a fraction of a second upon telling me this, those boars snorted-out and dug-out happily to my amazement in the other direction of the trail and I got off a shot on a Monster Boar. All this happened in terribly dense cover and it is the most exhilirating thing I have experienced thus far in my life.

It's a beautiful Polynesian dryland boar with 3" tusks......

We had an awesome time with this guide, there definitely was "game", and no doubt he was going to find them......, no matter where we hunted or what we hunted!

Hey Doc,

Sorry for the Ultimate Tease, but the Ultimate Tease deserves to have revealed the Ultimate Details!!!

I hope you all enjoyed it!!!

This hunting stuff is addicting.....

I've already booked my next hunt with this same guide in two months come August!!!

This guide is an awesome professional!!!

He is Hawaii's best, you guys should check him out!!!!

Contact Pat Fisher:

http://www.parkerranch.com/Activities-Public/165/hawaii-hunting

Aloha,

Late-Bloomer

God Bless You all!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hoghunting:
Congratulations to you and your son on an excellent hunt. You might be a "Late Bloomer," but it seems it didn't take you long to catch on.

Thanks HH,

My son and I are greatful to hear that accomplished hunters applaud our Trophies...

And thanks about the reply about my Late-Bloomingness" !!!! beer

AWWWW RRRRIGHT! clap

I needed that ONE! dancing

Thanks again...

L-B

one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are some awesome trophies. Looks like a very Dad-Son bonding trip. Congratulations. Now, I'll just check out your link and see what's good. Mahalo, brah.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 475Guy:
Those are some awesome trophies. Looks like a very Dad-Son bonding trip. Congratulations. Now, I'll just check out your link and see what's good. Mahalo, brah.

Hey 475Guy,

Thanks for the congrats..........
We're pretty stoked right now, can't wait til I fly back up to the Big Island in August, since I live on Oahu, born & raised....
It was an awesome time together with my son.
Yep, it was a unique bonding experience. Next year we already booked the hunt and to stay in some beautiful cabins in the lush and pristine Hawaiian forest!

Aloha

L-B