THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Do you re-size the neck after pulling a bullet???

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you re-size the neck after pulling a bullet???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
Simple question. Hopefully, a simple answer follows. Thanks.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No. Since the powder was not fired, there's no neck expansion.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I normally do as most of my loads are neck-sized only with out crimp. I've found that you do loose a slight bit of neck tension. If you are crimping the bullet, then I don't see that there is any need to resize.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Santa Claus>
posted
Yes, I do resize the case. You will lose some neck tension by seating the bullet. It might not be much, but it could cause a bullet to go out of the group..

<Dave King>
posted
I resize the neck once I've pulled a bullet.

posted Hide Post
Ditto.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I always re-size,as well..........

<Martindog>
posted
Dumb question here:

You've pulled the bullet and dumped the powder. How do you handle the live primer when resizing? Or do you adjust expander ball up high enough so the punch never contacts the primer?

Martindog

posted Hide Post
MartinDog,
Not stupid at all. I wonder how many of us have forgotten to remove the pin, which is what I usually do, rather than raising the whole expander assembly. Just a preference, either way is fine.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't resize, try to seat a bullet, and check the resistance, you can tell by feel if it's tight enough.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I'm a "pin puller",myself...........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, resize after pulling bullets are you will have varing amounts of grip on all the bullets...Consistency is the key to good reloading all else is piddling.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote