Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BAR--300 Win Mag Recipe Needed
 Login/Join

posted
A friend of mine recently purchased a Browning BAR semiautomatic rifle chambered in 300 Win. Mag. I have never reloading for a 300 Win Mag or a semi-auto rifle either. Any load recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Specifics such as bullet types, bullet weights, powder and primer recommendations are what I am looking for. Thanks in advance for your responses.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought my first BAR cal. 300WM in 1996, a steel receiver; 3 years ago I sold it to a friend and bought an "Evolve" version, same caliber, with a lightweight receiver. I never had a problem with both and neither my friend; BTW, from 1994 untill 1996, I owned a BAR cal. 30-06, sold to another friend, still happy with it; BARs are reliable rifles. I have no special reccomandations about primers, since I used both regular and mag. As for powders, I use now the Vith. 165, mag. CCI primers and 200 gr. Norma Oryx bullets, that, despite their flat point, never gave any problem or jamming. I would suggest you, like any semiauto, to avoid stiff loads, that could overstress the mechanism. I've noticed that chambers seem to be cut to tight tolerances; I had to "shorten" by 0.03 mm. the resizing RCBS FL die, since it wasn't able to push the brass shoulder back enough; always use full lenght resizing regular dies. Hope it helps.

P.S. Feel free to ask for more details.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote