Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester brass for 30/40 Krag
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
Although Remington brass is available for this cartridge, I prefer Winchester. I have checked Huntington's, Sinclair and Old Western Scrounger, no dice. Does any know of anybody with some gathering dust somewhere? I would be willing to buy 300 or more if the price was right.

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<manhasset>
posted
Hi Dan,
try Ammo Depot, they got W/W and once fired comm. cases (mfg. unk.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by manhasset:
Hi Dan,
try Ammo Depot, they got W/W and once fired comm. cases (mfg. unk.)

Just been there, done that! Bought 200 cases. Thanks for the reply. Hey manhasset! Have you done anything with those VZ500 actions yet? How about a 376 Steyr! I am considering necking that one (376 Steyr)down to 8mm and 7mm (perhaps with a 40* shoulder) for my VZ500 actions. It will be a whole lot easier than what I had in mind!<<<< P.S. I took 5 deer off of my place this year I missed 2, including a nice buck

------------------

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 01-17-2002).]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Dave Iams>
posted
Wildcat: Just curious why you prefer Win. over Rem. brass? I'm a 30/40 Krag nut. I've got alot of different brass including "Paper bullet loads marked 30 USA" manu. date 1899. The only reason I seperate brass is I use one brand in my pistol and another in my rifle's so I don't get headspacing problem's changing from pistol to rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Iams:
Wildcat: Just curious why you prefer Win. over Rem. brass? I'm a 30/40 Krag nut. I've got alot of different brass including "Paper bullet loads marked 30 USA" manu. date 1899. The only reason I seperate brass is I use one brand in my pistol and another in my rifle's so I don't get headspacing problem's changing from pistol to rifle.

Can't say that I have any experience with Remington brass. I have just heard a lot of negative feed-back on this and other forums. I am new to reloading for the Krag. I just inherited my Dad"s "sporterized" (cut down carbine stock, everything else is issue right down to the trapdoor buttplate)It is a "later" model I think. It has the 1902 issue sights. It has been in the family since about 1956 or so. The bore is fair with a good throat but some wear @ the muzzle. The action is tight, but "slikeran snotona doorknob. Accuracy seems good enough, I haven't had time to do it justice with good "iron sight" targets and and a bench rest YET. Care to share any load data? I am loading 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips in the high 2600fps range, should be good "deer medicine" out to 150yds or so. I wasn't aware of a 30/40 Krag pistol. I assume it is a "Contender" type pistol.

------------------

[This message has been edited by wildcat junkie (edited 01-18-2002).]

<Dave Iams>
posted
Wildcat: Yes my pistol is an T/C Contender. It's a super 14" SSK JD Jones re-chamber of an 30 Herrett to a 30/40 Krag(it has an SSK brake and TSOB scope mounts w/Burris 2x7 PA on top). It shoots a little over 1" @ 100yds with IMR 3031 150gr Hornady SP. My favorite rifle(out of 3) is an 1896 model that my great-uncle made a stock for it(not fancy but truley a handsome piece) from a walnut tree that came from our family farm in Penna. Topped with an old Pic 4x side-mounted scope, that gun with hand-loads will shoot 3-shot groups constantly that a dime(yes a DIME) would cover @ 100yds. Use caution with this load! The newer manuals show max 1grn lower than what I use!!!! IMR 4350 /47 grains. Win. large rifle primmers and 180grn Hornady RN bullets. I only neck size the fired case after 1st firing.(don't mix and match case's from different guns via Headspace problems)

<manhasset>
posted
WJ:- found a brand new Belgium FN bbl., 29"
in the mundane 7x57 mm. and had that
attached to the Vz with a Dakota 3
position M70 type safety. Changed the
tg to a inside the guard opener and
picked a great semi-inletted fiddle
back walnut stock. Now they just have
to be put together.
What do you think of the bolt handle,
it doesen't look low enough to clear
low mounted scope.
Bob.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by manhasset:
WJ:- found a brand new Belgium FN bbl., 29"
in the mundane 7x57 mm. and had that
attached to the Vz with a Dakota 3
position M70 type safety. Changed the
tg to a inside the guard opener and
picked a great semi-inletted fiddle
back walnut stock. Now they just have
to be put together.
What do you think of the bolt handle,
it doesen't look low enough to clear
low mounted scope.
Bob.

manhasset: The "Butterknife" handle will not clear a low "Weaver" mount, a medium "Weaver" is dicey, but they are about .100" lower than most. I tried to clearance one by grinding, I'm going to replace that one with a "Harris" handle. I think if I section out a wedge on the underside of the "Butterknife" handle on the other one, I can reweld and bend it to clear. I got a bolt welding fixture, heat sink and "Heat Stop Paste" for Christmas. I think I'm going to have to get an acetylene torch and tanks for "farm maintenance" in the spring. Check out the "376 Steyr as a basis for wilcat cartridges" thread for my latest rantings

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Krag is a model 1892(4 digit serial)and I have been reloading for it a loong time.
I see no difference in quality betwen Remington and Winchester brass.
Frank

------------------
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote