Find
Notify
Tools

How does velocity affect target hits?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted
Does velocity affect high and low hits on target?

For example 32 grains Reloader Seven with cast bullet, hits 3 inches low at 30 yards in my 303 Brit. using the fixed peep sights.

How will increasing or decreasing powder charge, therefore velocity, affect the high-low hits on my target using the same sights?

Why shall there not be patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world? Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 599 | Location: Canada, NS | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I think faster may be lower at 30 yards, but I don't think it will bw that much of a difference. For rifle velocities the difference is noticed at long range due to trajectory changes. There may be velovity/recoil relationship like a hand gun has but I don't think you will be able to move 3 inches at 30 yards with ammo changes.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the past, I've had to adjust point of impact by changing loads. In general, higher velocities hit higher at 100 yards, but not always. Sometimes changing primers or OAL can also be used to change you POI. 3" at 30 yards, is about like trying to achieve a 10" change at 100 yards. I would expect you to need about a 400 FPS change to achive this, but your experience may vary.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm waaaaay out of my league here, but wouldn't the answer depend more on barrel harmonics than velocity?

Just a question.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
I think faster may be lower at 30 yards, but I don't think it will bw that much of a difference. For rifle velocities the difference is noticed at long range due to trajectory changes. There may be velovity/recoil relationship like a hand gun has but I don't think you will be able to move 3 inches at 30 yards with ammo changes.

my experience the same.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote