New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load Density
 Login/Join

<bigcountry>
posted
What is so significant about load density? Is the more the better? If more is better, why not use the slowest powder your gun will allow? For instance, the slowest powder I use for my 300RUM is H1000. I have never tried H50BMG, but would wonder if I should. I always followed the recommendations in manuels, but never spent the time to understand the significance of LD.

<.>
posted
Now you're going to open up a can of worms!

When I select a powder for a specific caliber, I look at velocity/cup pressure (or PSI if that's the unit being used.

Typically there's a powder that generates higher velocities at lower pressures than the others. But that data is specific to a barrel length. Change the length in the barrel and you change most of the ballistic characteristics in the load.

Only time I ever had problems with a bulky powder was shooting .357 mag loads in a K Frame Smith snub nose. Just wasn't buring all the powder in that short barrel.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

<bigcountry>
posted
Thanks, I thought that was the case. Like for my 300RUM, they list H870 having higher velocitys but lower pressure for 180g bullets than H1000 or H50BMG. Maybe H870 would be the better choice instead of H1000. With the same amount of pressures, it gets better velocity according to Hodgdon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am pretty inexperienced compared to most of the people on this post. But, it was my understanding that when you have a high load density there is less room for the powder to move around in the case. So, each time you shoot that load the powder in the case is in a more consistent position (round after round). And, with precision shooting you want to have every variable possible consistent. So, theoretically, a high load density round should be more accurate than a low load density round.

Ben

Posts: 90 | Location: Pullman, WA, USA | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote
<PaulS>
posted
bigcountry,
You can end up with lower velocity from a round that is loaded to 110% loading density. Load density is only part of the equation. You get the highest velocity from the powders (there are usually more than one) the fill the case to 95 - 110% load density at the same time that your chamber pressure reaches it's NEAR maximum. Now to muddy the mix a bit; you will get the best accuracy from a round that is somewhat below that point, USUALLY. The definition of load density is the ratio of powder charge weight to water weight in the same volume.

PaulS

------------------
stay safe and live long!

<bigcountry>
posted
Has anyone used H870 in a 300RUM? After looding at it, it seems that would be a good powder?