New
Find
Notify
Tools

Call Hodgdon! 9.3x62 and CFE 223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone tried this combo yet? Haven't seen any lab tested data yet.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
What load?

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rapidrob:
What load?

I would be interested in seeing any load data, but would be most interested in loads for the 286 grain Partition and Interlock. I called Hodgdon when CFE 223 came out. They said that CFE 223 should work in the 9.3x62, but they had no plans to do any testing. Given the rounds expansion ratio, it should work well, and burn clean, with no copper fouling.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just called Hodgdon about this. Although they said that CFE 223 should work great in the 9.3x62, they are just too busy testing higher demand stuff to test this combo. I got the same answer when I called them about it last year at this time. So, if you would like Hodgdon to do this test, maybe you should get on the phone too!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Way too obscure for them to do any work on it. I would start with 4350 and 748 data and work from there, developing my own loads. Great round though, but most guys have no idea what it is.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Way too obscure for them to do any work on it. I would start with 4350 and 748 data and work from there, developing my own loads. Great round though, but most guys have no idea what it is.

4350, 748, rl15, Big game, 414… There are many good powders, but I would like to try CFE 223 for the reasons explained. It's also a great powder in the 222, 223, 308, and 06'. Add the 9.3x62 and CFE 223 would cover almost all of the rounds that I reload for, and I would not ever have to clean copper fouling, or at least not very much!

Matt
FISH!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Save yourself the trouble, the new holy grail of the 9.3x62 is RL-17..start with 61.5 grs. with the 286 gr. bullet and work up. My load is 64 grs. and averages 2579 FPS..but keep in mind, with the 9.3x62 it definately depend on which make of brass that you use as case capacity really differs in the 9.3x62 for some reason..

PMP is so far the best brass for the 9.3x62, has the most water capacity and is the cheapest, as Graff sells it under their name for about $34.00 per hundred. Lapua and Norma are the next best bets.

In my gun and my lot of brass PMP loads are 64 grs. and in Lapua and Norma I am useing 61.5 or 62 depending on accuracy..

With the 320 gr. Woodleigh my loads are 60 grs. for 2413 FPS average, and I have got better than that, but 2400 is about ideal and with a solid the bullet will not go to sleep at that velocity I am told by those who know, and that is critical for elephant at close range IMO..

I use CFE in the 25-35 and 250-3000 and it seems to shine there. I'm new to CFE, but its seems to be a nice powder but it does get those advertised velocities at high pressure..its cleaning ability is the best thing about it, so I don't push the book loads.

It seems that the powder companies are claiming some real velocities gains with these new powders but they are doing at 10,000 to 15,000 more PSI, that's rates right up there with a lot of other scams these days.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not looking for higher than CIP velocity or pressure, just good clean burning, and good accuracy. The 222 is a relatively low pressure round. Very good accuracy and high velocity in the 222 with CFE 223. It may turn out that CFE 223 ain't worth a flip in the 9.3x62, but we won't know until we try it. We didn't know how good Big Game and RL17 were until someone tried it either.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some CFE 223 and I thought I would like to try it in my 376 Steyr. I currently use Varget with 270 grain bullets. It is easy to get 2600 FPS at a couple of grains below published max. Factory Hornady 270 grains are a bit hot in my rifle at 2700 FPS as they leave a shiny spot on the case head. The CFE is more dense than Varget so I thought I would have more room to seat longer 300 grain bullets a little deeper as my magazine is 3.125".

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My feeling is that any case with an expansion ratio, or bore to case capacity ratio similar to that of the 308 Win will work well with CFE 223. That's kind of a blanket statement, and I don't want to lead anyone to blow themselves to smithereens, but I think I'm right. The 9.3x62 is very close, but I don't know about the 376 Styre. What Ray Atkinson said about pressure may be true. However, Hodgdon's load data for 222, 223, and the 308 is not 10-15K above that of other powders used in these rounds. Most, if not all, powders do perform best in a given round at a certain pressure. We really just need to get the labs to gather some empirical data. John Barsness got the Ramshot boys, up in Montana, to test his "Big Game" powder loads in 9.3x62. He obviously went off the reservation to start with, but he got his loads tested and published 30-06 pressure level loads in Handloader magazine that he had previously just work up himself the old fashioned way. I wouldn't feel comfortable with the old fashioned way until I felt confident about a starting load.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
What is your barrel length?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote