Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Improving consistency of velocity?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking to improve the consistency of my velocities. I rented a chronograph at the range the other day and noticed quite a variation in velocities. 3 shot group examples:

Win cases
Sierra 150 SBT
CCI #34 primer
41.5 IMR 4895
Fps: 2649 2673 2613
second group: 2651 2646 2682

Win cases
Sierra 150 SBT
WLR primer
41.5 IMR 4895
fps: 2596 2620 2580
second group: 2604 2637 2617

I weighed each powder charge on a Lee balance scale. Uniformed the primer pockets but didn't chamfer the flash hole (just got the tool after the fact). All cases were sized the same but not weighed.

Looking for any improvement tips.

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
In my opinion a 3 shot test is not much to go by. For me 10 or better yet 20 gives you a good base. Extreme spread is one thing but I feel standard diviation is better. SEE CORRECT DEFINITION BELOW. Less than 20 is good 10 is very good. Key issue is how do they group?

"Post corrected"

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A cheap improvement is to just crimp!

http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I used the Lee factory crimp die set to just past a half turn in the press.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Actually Standard deviation is defined as the square root of the variance. Where variance is the average squared deviaton of each number from its mean.

Take each variation from the average and square them and average those results. Then take the square root of that and it will give you the SD.

In the first 6 shots above, the variance is 483 fps (which is the sum of the squared variations from the mean) this gives a SD of almost 22 fps.

IMHO Small SD's really only affect group sizes significantly in hunting rifles when shooting at long ranges (>600 yards) more importantly how do the loads group?

If you are concerned with reducing the Standard Deviations then my recommendation are to reduce as many variables as possible, case weight, case length, bullet bearing length, primer pocket depth, flash hole variances, primer differences (switch to BR primers) barrel temperature, bedding, shooting technique (shoot free-recoil) trigger consistency,etc.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smeagolcheese:
I used the Lee factory crimp die set to just past a half turn in the press.

Cases trimmed too?

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually Standard deviation is defined as the square root of the variance. Where variance is the average squared deviaton of each number from its mean.

Thanks for correcting me. homer My brain wasn't working this morning and I just let my Chorny give me tha answer anyway.

I normally worry about group size. In my hunting rifle I will double check the group at 3-400 yds. That is the max I will normally shoot anyway.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
EekerYour velocity spreads are a lot better than I get. Decided long ago, when I got my first chronograph, I would never go on the quest you are on. Thought it might become a never ending goal rather than a means to some other achievement. Besides that, if I did, I'd have to admitt that I was screwing up somewhere on my reloading process.NAW!! homerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

Thanks for correcting me. homer My brain wasn't working this morning and I just let my Chorny give me tha answer anyway.

I normally worry about group size. In my hunting rifle I will double check the group at 3-400 yds. That is the max I will normally shoot anyway.

Big Grin
I've gotten over being a "Spelling Nazi" but I still have issues.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've gotten over being a "Spelling Nazi" but I still have issues.

Wink I really have trouble when I don't have spell check. Was really having a moment this morning. Like I said my Chrony calculates it or for my other data EXCEL does it.

Unless Excel fails me too I get 24 for the first 6 and 20 for the second.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

posted Hide Post
Case trimmed, FL resize, and checked against a case guage.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure but I thought I read an article in one of the national stab and blast magazines comparing variations in velocity to group size and came up with some intersting data. I think the final conclusion was that velocity flucuations were not all that detrimental to group size and that if the group size was acceptable for the application, no sweat. Can't remember the name of the magazine!!!!

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
I think the final conclusion was that velocity flucuations were not all that detrimental to group size and that if the group size was acceptable for the application, no sweat. Can't remember the name of the magazine!!!!

In co-oberation; In testing DP 85 we ran into someting interesting. We chronographed 7 loads that were identical except for the powder charge, which varied in 1/2gr increments. From slowest to fastest the velocity varied 300 fps. The 7 shots formed a close to .5" group at 100 yds.I guess I don't know everything I understand????? shockerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure but I thought I read an article in one of the national stab and blast magazines comparing variations in velocity to group size and came up with some intersting data. I think the final conclusion was that velocity flucuations were not all that detrimental to group size and that if the group size was acceptable for the application, no sweat. Can't remember the name of the magazine!!!!

That agrees with my experience. I don't think that you could measure a difference in group sizes at 100 yards with SDs of 25 fps.

But I know people who shoot at 1,000 yards all the time who can see group variations with SDs of 10 fps.

The only people I see worrying about SD are benchrest shooters where a .001" is a big group difference, the F class shooters and 1,000 yard benchrest competitors.

Frank

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:

That agrees with my experience. I don't think that you could measure a difference in group sizes at 100 yards with SDs of 25 fps.

But I know people who shoot at 1,000 yards all the time who can see group variations with SDs of 10 fps.

The 142 grain Sierra Matchking at 3000 fps drops 239.8" at 1,000 yards. With a MV of 2,900 fps the same bullet in the same conditions drops 259.8". That could be a standard deviation of 10fps and that would destroy a group for these shooters.

That's a difference of over 20" and these shooters are shooting groups of less than 10", you can see how Standard Deviation is very important to them.

The only people I see worrying about SD are benchrest shooters where a .001" is a big group difference, the F class shooters and 1,000 yard benchrest competitors.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
In my Sako AII 24 inch varmint rifle, with a medium contour varmint barrel the 70gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint and 42.7grs Varget gave me a 5 shot group at 125 yards of 0.354. Velocity of that load taken at 5m from muzzle (range rules mean that I have to shoot through a tyre tunnel), so couldn't place chronograph close to muzzle are as follows:

shot 1: 3463fps
Shot 2: 3463fps
Shot 3: 3454fps
Shot 4: 3445fps
Shot 5: 3445fps.

I use Lapua .243 brass exclusively with Federal 210 primers.

By the way, the Sako has never been bedded, it is an honest Sako factory rifle . Only thing that has been done to it is the trigger lightened.

Regards,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
What kind of chronograph did you rent? I would also suspect the cheaper Lee scale could be causing as much as 0.2gr diff. in your "weighed" charges. Did you leave lube inside the case neck when you seated your bullets? Has all the brass been fired the same number of times? How long did you leave a round in the chamber before firing? All kinds of things can affect SD.
While I like small SD, it's more about how well the rounds group. I've hsd single digit SD loads give mediocre groups & rounds w/ SD in the high 20s go sub 1/2moa.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If we're talking about a hunting rifle, your velocity variations (I won't say SD as someone may give me a long definition that I don't want) is not bad IMO. Your velocity will usually change from shot to shot if for no other reason because of fouling accumulating in the bore. Just as your pressure climbs from a clean bore to one that is fouled.
I think a Chrony is a valuable asset to reloading but too often we try to put too much bench rest technology into a sporting rifle application.
What you need the Chrony to tell you is how fast are my bullets going?? So I can make a viable drop chart (altho the only really accurate drop chart is one you make by shooting at distance) and choose a proper bullet. I can also tell you when you're working upward toward max.
Even the stool shooters, with their super anal cartridge prep, can't achieve a 0 sd. So I wouldn't angst about it too much if your bullets are clustering nicely.

posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what brand of chrony I rented, it looked to be in real good shape. No lube in the case necks. And the brass is all the same lot with the same amounts of firings.

I'm glad to hear your input. This was just the type of infomation I was hoping to hear.

This is for an M1A rifle, so I'm kind of worried about pressures. I'm gathering that with the Winchester brass I can increase the load slightly to compensate for more case volume than LC brass?