New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Primers for .17 cal?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Time to buy a new batch of primers for my .17.

The round is a .357mag pistol brass necked down to .17. 25gr bullet running around 3,100 fps. I load it mild.

I have been using CCI 400 small rifle primers just cuz they were the cheapest where I bought 'em.

Any reason to use a different primer? What's your favorite for .17 cal?

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I've used mostly Remington 7-1/2, simply because, like you, they work, and were the cheapest available at the time.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried a lot of reloads where the only variable was the primer. One brand will occasionally shoot better than another, but it's not always the same one. I have some loads where Federal 205M is the best, while in another rifle the Rem 7 1/2 outshines the others. I don't know that a definitive study of this has ever been attempted. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've found that in the .22 Hornet and K-Hornet, a lot of loads will work best using the Remington 6 1/2 primer... it's a small rifle primer that is milder than a "regular" small rifle... it was designed for smaller cased rounds like the Hornet. It might be worth a try in your 17....

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote