New
Find
Notify
Tools

ppc reload ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i have a 22ppc and have wilson dies that say 22 -6mm ppc neck and 6mm oversize seater will these wrk for the 22 . also what does oversize mean . have been using redding but like the wilson dies

Posts: 152 | Location: ky | Registered: 14 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmm, you did not get a lot of replies on this one, so I'll add my $.02...

There are few standards for the PPC chambers, so whatever brass you use, make sure your chamber will allow the brass to be used unturned - or turn necks as appropriate for safe bullet release.

There is very little PPC brass available for neck down. Norma makes 6PPC brass (probably of the "USA" dimensions, so this brass must be turned for chambers cut to BR specs - whatever that might be, there are just so many different reamers). BUT,,,, Norma also occasionally makes 22 PPC brass, and that would save you the hassle of necking down, and don't forget your necks will grow thicker in a neck-down operation, making turning a more likely necessity... If it was me, I'd talk to http://www.brunoshooters.com/ and see if they had any 22 PPC Norma brass available.

If you don't like Norma brass, the obvious alternative is to use Lapua .220 Russian brass. Fantastic brass, no need to neck down - you *might* be able to simply fireform. BUT, be careful, Lapua brass is on the beefy side, and will have to be turned for use in most factory (USA, say) chambers. So again, regardless of what brass you use, you must establish the neck dimension of your chamber and compare to loaded round neck diameter (you'll need about .002" for safe bullet release - without getting into fitted rounds etc).

I'm not going to try to interpret what the inscriptions on your dies mean. But ask over here, these guys live and breathe PPCs... http://benchrest.com/forums/

Good luck

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote