Find
Notify
Tools

Case Prep Work Equipment Ideas?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted
Does anyone have any reccomendations on power tools used for deburring and cleaning primer pockets, case trimming, and neck chamfering? Also, does anybody have experience with the Gracey Power Trimmer?

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
RCBS makes a neat little machine that does all that...

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<KTS>
posted
Yep, best thing I ever bought was the RCBS Trim Mate Prep Center, if you do a lot of handloading this will get you to the range faster.
The power case trimmer is nice too.
Wes

<jd_1>
posted
I have the RCBS case prep center also. It is great. I found mine on sale for $75.00 at www.gunstop.com it has 5 gear driven, rotating heads. The only change I made was not with the machine its self but, with my case trimming tool.

I bought a Lee trim kit that has a cutter and a chuck for a drill for @ $10.00 I think. The cutter is threaded in the center between the cutting edges for a Lee case length gauge that you can buy for $5.00 and also comes with a shell holder. I took the cutter and put it on a lathe so I could center drill the non-cutting end and tap it for 8/32 threads which match the trim mate. Then I took a piece of 8/32 all-thread and screwed onto the tapped hole and secured it with a small nut threaded up tight aginst the bottom of the cutter.

What you have now is a cutter with threads on the bottom that will turn in the Trim Mate.

The next part you can do one of two ways. You can either use the chuck that came with your cutter and the shell holder that comes with the case length gauge. Tighten the piece of brass in the chuck and screw the gauge into the top of your cutter. The gauge lets the cutter trim the case to proper length. The only thing I dont like about this is you have to remove the brass from the chuck and tighten another one to trim it.

The 2nd way you can do it (the faster way) is to find some of the thinnest washers you cn find with an outer diameter smaller than the inside neck of your brass and use them for spacers on your length gauge to get the proper length when you slide the case neck over it. Then all you have to do is grab a piece of brass, and slide it down on the trimmer with out having thr chuck attached. Its the fastest way I have found th trim my cases. Plus on the Trim Mate you can finish up each piece of brass at a time with the 4 other stations that will do what you stated above.