New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheapest source of brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Since ebay doesn't allow the selling of brass, I need to find a source for once-fired brass in non-military cartridges. I really need quite a bit of 22-250 brass, but not at $30/100 for new Winchester brass.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
My cheapest source is the trash cans at the range...

however, I don't think you are going to get the quantities you are looking for with my cheapest method...

a few weeks ago, I got 60 rounds ( 3 boxes of 20 each) of Yugoslav made 22.250 brass....

60 rounds, that will be good for about 600 shots for me....

even a 100 rounds at $30.00... that would allow me about 1000 shots.. which still isnt' bad for $30.00...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
post an ad at BSB. chances are theres some there to be had at a very reasonable price, if not for free or trade....

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most expensive "cheap source" of brass is "form dies." You make what you want from something real cheap. You could make .22/250 from .308, but that involves WORK. Then there is a question about powder capacity...

Other source is "once fired." Many, many places sell the brass that someone has fired and left behind. Shotgun News has lists for one. [shotgunnews.com under "reloading components."] I suppose Gun List would too, but was old hand with SSN long before there was a gun list.

And you can google "used brass" or??? Cheyenne brass has brass. brassmanbrass.com has brass. Brassjunkies.com has brass, sometimes. You just have to keep looking until you find the brass you want at a price you like... Ask around the local ranges. Sometimes they have it or know someone who does. Gun shows. Out prairie doggin, once, had a man give me a grocery sack of empty boxes. He wanted the brass but not the boxes (with the plastic insert)... HAPPY HOLIAYS. luck. Happy trails.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are many forums just like this one that often have a seller with a large quantity of brass. It is sort of hit or miss but if you have time and patience something might show up.
You can also post a "want to buy" add in the forums and try that route.

There are a lot of pack rats out there with a lot of brass.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Here are 100 once fired Rem for $15. Just keep looking around with Google.

Bob

22-250 Brass Gun Broker Link

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am now just starting to reload as I just got a kit for Christmas. This may sound stupid but can you unload surplus military ammo(corrosive) and use the brass to reload for a 7.62x54R.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BK - the short answer would be "yes," but there might be some idiosyncracies to it. for instance, the bullets might be sealed in with some sort of glue; also, the primers might be berdan rather than boxer primers or crimped in.

these are not factors that should preclude you from giving it a try, but they are a couple things to look out for.there are probably a few others, too. if 7.62x54 brass is hard to come by, then it would most likely be worth it, though.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Could you reload corrosive ammo if its been fired but the brass thouroghly cleaned? If so what would be the best way to clean it? The reason I ask is the 7.62 x54r brass is running a little over $1.00 a piece for new production andI am sitting on 400 rounds of Bulgarian military surplus ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
rather than fire it, i would be tempted to pull all the bullets, get rid of the powder, deprime, thoroughly clean the brass and load with "good primers, powder etc. the bullets themselves shouldn't be corrosive, but they might be steel-jacketed or some other thing, so you will have to decide if you want to re-use them or simply toss them.

this way, you don't have to fire it in your rifle, and the powder doesn't burn any corrosives into the brass. i am rather inexperienced with this, so i could be wrong, but if it were me, i wouldn't fire it.

someone who's dealt with this should give a "better" reply sooner or later....

One of Us
Picture of BillCx55
posted Hide Post
OK, I think I can help here. The primer is the component that is corrosive in mil-surp ammo. Plan on all 7.62X54R surplus to be corrosive. The bullet, powder and brass are fine. Easiest thing to do is shoot the stuff and make sure you clean your rifle's bore with some windex first, then clean as usual. There is a article on this cleaning method on surplusrifles.com. Great site BTW. This needs to be done right away though.
Unfortunately most surplus 7.62X54R brass is Berdan primed. Not really worth reloading unless you have the correct tools and have access to Berdan primers.
You are just going to have to break down and purchase that brass. PRVI and Wolf (same company out of Serbia) manufacture loaded ammo with excellent brass. I buy the ammo a little at a time for around $12/20 rnds and keep the brass for reloading. Hope this helped.

Posts: 41 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With Quote