New
Find
Notify
Tools

On being in love and lucky to boot!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Another chapter if my love affair with the .300 RUM and Barnes TSX bullets has just been written. While weighing options for my 15 year old son’s first big game rifle, I wondered if I could work up an accurate load (<1 MOA) with a 180 Grain Barnes TTSX, that would recoil like a .30-06. I quickly found the following load shoots close to ½ MOA in my own Remington LSS.

55.4 gr of Accurate 5744 powder
Federal GM215 Gold Match Primer
Barnes 180Gr TSX
Muzzle Velocity 2885 fps

With that successful result, I began my quest for a deal on his rifle. About two weeks later I found a Remington BDL Custom sitting in a used gun rack at my local gun shop. It was in an as new condition and only had a price of $475 on it. There wasn’t even any brass witness marks on the bolt face! Needless to say it followed me home and into the safe when the wife wasn’t looking.

Last weekend I was able to sight it in with the new scope and new reduced load that I worked up in my rifle. My first group of the reduced load fired through my boy’s “bargain rifle” printed under ½ inch!

So now we can shoot identical .300 RUM loads with 180 gr Barnes TTSX at either the tame .30-06 equivalent of 2885 fps or a hot 3300 fps - and all shoot well under 1 MOA.

The only thing I have left to do is to confirm there’s nothing in the 10 Commandments about “thou shalt not covet thy son’s new rifle”.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass

Posts: 49 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 23 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass

Earlybugle, Who's the author?

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it could be a Bill Monroe lyric.