New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do Anything Else AFTER Sonic Cleaning??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am wondering if you do anything after Sonic Cleaning, such as brush-out the inside/neck, or do you call your case ready to load?

I use my Hornady Sonic 2L machine (with their solution as well) rinse off each case with Tap and then Distilled Water and dry in oven.

What do you fellas do?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my cleaning routine, I have an Branson industrial ultrasonic cleaner and a Thumbles Tumbler.

1) Ultrasonic with Vinegar/Distilled Water
2) Ultrasonic with Baking Soda/Distilled Water
3) Ultrasonic with Distilled Water (Rinse)
4) Put in Dehydrator (Dry)
5) Tumble with Treated Walnutshell media (Final Polish)

This process gets the cases really clean, as a matter of fact they look brand new inside and out. It seems a little over the top but I do it while I am working on other things in the garage and I have discovered several cases that were starting to split in the neck that I could not see before the cleaning (carbon covering). So I am an advocate of a good clean of cases.

That is my routine...

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad,
You might investigate citric acid in place of the vinegar. All the vinegar cleaned cases I have ever had eventually turned brown no matter how much I rinsed them. That includes rinsing in copious amounts of boiling water.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My cleaning routine began long before ultrasonic cleaners were in common use.

I guess I have 2 routines.
For large lots of cruddy range pickups loaded with dirt and mud I wash in a dish soap solution and inspect every case. If necessary I may resort to a bore brush or old tooth brush.
After that they are treated like my good brass.

I try to keep my good brass clean.
I knock out the primers and clean the primer pockets. I do the wash routine and rinse with hot water. Then I rinse in isopropyl alcohol to absorb the water. The cases will dry in about 5 mins after the IPA rinse.
The cases are then sized and I know my dies do not get scratched.
I use the IPA again to remove the lube. The resulting cases are very clean. They are bagged and boxed for later use when I am ready to load.

quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
I am wondering if you do anything after Sonic Cleaning, such as brush-out the inside/neck, or do you call your case ready to load?

I use my Hornady Sonic 2L machine (with their solution as well) rinse off each case with Tap and then Distilled Water and dry in oven.

What do you fellas do?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Rinse in distilled water.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
In the next months I will be leaving the ultra sonic cleaner in the past.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
In the next months I will be leaving the ultra sonic cleaner in the past.

Ted, care to elaborate on your reasons?

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I'm switching to stainless pins and a rotary

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the time and money spent on a activity that only requires the outside of the case to wiped off.
For US cleaning, first deprime. Next, even straight water will clean--it just takes longer.
Vinegar and other strong acids can leach zinc out of the cases. I find simply adding a squirt of Dawn is all that is needed. Hot water works faster than cold. Deaerated water works better than straight tap water--if you have a degassing option (or run the US for five minutes with nothing in it).
After cleaning, rinse in water (distilled if water spots bother you, but I haven't seen any water spots on my cases).
Allow to dry and start to load.
If you want shine, then you need to tumble in 20/40 corn for 30 minutes or go invest in SS pins.
A simple water rinse is all that is needed, even if citric acid is used. Just get a "tub" of water and dip the basket of case in and out of the water a few times.

Posts: 130 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My routine is-
Use steaming hot tap water. Tsp. of Lemi Shine, drop or two of Dawn liquid soap.
Dump in cases. cycle 3 times at 480 seconds I do not use the rubber mat in the cleaner.

Remove cases with strainer. Rinse under tap in pan. blot dry on towel. Put cases on a parchment lined/paper towel lined, baking pan, place in convection oven at 170 F. cases will dry in just a few minutes. I don't do anything else.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote