Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone reload for a .300 H&H?????????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
Just wondering about this cartridge, Been thinking about getting one for a while. I think this is one of the very few magnums that you actually head space off the belt right? is there anything else about this round that makes it different? Or is the rest pretty much straight forward? I know a 300 win mag would probably make a better choice but sometimes common sense doesn't play into cartridge selection. [Roll Eyes]

[ 01-23-2003, 02:19: Message edited by: TC1 ]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Please do a search here on this topic and get back to us on what you think. This has been discussed at great length here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As you may see from a BTT post on my M70 in 300HH, I reload for it. It is a wonderful, classic cartridge. It will not give you the velocity of a 300WM or 30-338 (308 Norma Mag), but it will give you approx 2850-2950fps. It feeds like s--- thru a goose. Ray Atkinson like to shoot 200 and 220 gr bullets. I like 180s. But I believe that you would like it, if you like to tinker and play with a round. Set up right, they are as accurate as any other 300 mag.

There is a good bit if info on this sight about the round. Ku-dude

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Savage99 and Ku-dude, I've been searching the archives and the impression I get, it's almost right on par with the 300 win mag, it's a little hard on brass in factory cut chambers and most people opt for 180gr bullets. What barrel length do most rifles in this chamber come with? would I be cheating myself if I went with a 24" tube? Thanks again, Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC - Many years ago when I first got into serious reloading, my friend and co-conspirator in the reloading/hunting game had a Win Model 70 in 300 H&H while I had an /06. We treated them both the same with no loading problems at all. You won't have any trouble with it. This wouldn't be my cartridge of choice for several reasons (least of all because there are more powerful .30 cal available) but it's not my call.
If this what you want, you won't have any trouble with it.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos45:
TC - Many years ago when I first got into serious reloading, my friend and co-conspirator in the reloading/hunting game had a Win Model 70 in 300 H&H while I had an /06. We treated them both the same with no loading problems at all. You won't have any trouble with it. This wouldn't be my cartridge of choice for several reasons (least of all because there are more powerful .30 cal available) but it's not my call.
If this what you want, you won't have any trouble with it.

Thanks Pecos, I've got a 7mag and a 300RUM. This is just something to play with in all honesty. I'm thinking about this one but might go with a 338 win mag instead. I don't know. I've got an extra action and a little pocket change [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like it and have used it for years to hunt with...It will shoot the 200 and 220 a little faster than most 300's short of the Weatherby because the bullet does not interfere with the powder space and a huge gob of old 4831 gives me some fantastic velocities and no pressure..I fireform and do not headspace off the belt and cases last a long time meaning 10 to 15 loads, but I usually toss them and buy more at about 10..I only hunt with new or once fired brass...It feeds well and will always extract even an almost seperated case which you will get if you push them fast and reload them too many times regardless of caliber or if you run across that ocassional bad case. I don't like the faster ones as they have shown me little over the conventional 300's, mostly noise and recoil..

the 200 gr. and 220 gr. Nosler or Woodleigh kills about as well as anything on animals up to and encluding Eland...I have a client who regularly shoots Cape Buffalo with the 220 Woodleighs soft and solids and he has no complaint. He is about 80 and recoil of the bigger guns bothers him. My PH says his buff die about like the ones shot with a 458...Personally I would only use it if nothing else was available, then I wouldn't hesitate..but under those circumstances I would use a 30-30 also..

Posts: 41998 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote