New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redding dies questtion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have just had my .223 coneverted to AI and after fireforming when I run them through my new Redding neck die they seem to be squeezed in the body area. When I use the seating die it also seems to squeeze and there is what I would think is excessive force needed to retract the case. My case bodies do not measure much more than .001 over any of the other cases that I haven't yet fireformed. Does Redding manufcture their dies that tight? Is my fireforming load of 26 gr H335 topped with a 55gr FMJ/PSP just over pressure? Is my chamber possibly cut too large? I would appreciate any help.

Dog-duster

Posts: 61 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I had Redding make me a set of dies for the 375 Whelen. The gun smith who made my rifle cut the chamber on the tight side. The dies Redding made are perfect for that chamber, the cases last forever.
All the other dies I use are now Redding, I've replaced all the RCBS, Lyman and Bonanza. The Redding dies are great.
I'd say you have an over size chamber. Put a bit more lube further down the case when resizing and I'll be the difficulty in sizing goes away.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd back off on the fireform load and see what happens. If the results are the same, call Redding, they are very helpful. Make a chamber cast and mike it. If A+B does not equal C talk to the person who cut the chamber. Or, follow arkeypete's advise.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote