Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 x 58mm Portuguese Mauser
 Login/Join

posted
Does anybody out there have any reloading experience with the 6.5 x 58mm caliber. I'm looking for reloading dies, ammo/brass and reloading info.

Thank You

one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Frank C. Barnes (in "Cartridges of the World, 7th Ed."), even the Portugese dropped the 6.5 x 58mm Vergueiro in favor of the 8mm Mau. cartridge. I don't know whether brass or even dies are available for it, but Barnes does list the following loads:

140gr. SP (generic) 46gr. IMR 4831

140gr. SP " 38gr. IMR 4895

156gr. SP " 43gr. IMR 4350

Btw, if you haven't a die set, Lee Precison may be able to help. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I looked through a Lee catalog, but couldn't find any 6.5 x 58 dies, even on their website, they make no claim of a 6.5 x 58 die. At the moment I'm looking into a company called CH4D, it looks like they can help me with a die set, but now I still need appropriate brass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe Lee Precision will make you a die set for a bit less than CH4. However, you'll probably need a fired case for Lee (and RCBS too). Also, check The Old Western Scrounger for ammo/brass for your rifle.

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that I remember someone, perhaps Ross Seyfreid, doing an article on the Portugese Mauser in Handloader or, less likely, Rifle, about 18 months ago (not to be confused with a more recent article he did on a vintage 6.5 sporter). If I recall correctly, the point was how to develop loads for an obsolete cartridge, not to feature the cartridge itself. Anyway, if you can find an index to back issues of those magazines, you may find some information.

In the meantime, since I recall he used special-order RCBS dies, you might want to try this website http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=4&s2=8&s3=74 which will provide more information on obtaining odd-caliber dies from RCBS.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote