Find
Notify
Tools

Varget anyone??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
Smiler OK, we've been going through powder availability challenges for a while now. And I'm seeing some easing of the shortage. But still can't seem to find Varget available from Midway or Cabelas. Kind of hate to buy it at auction since you're never sure how it's been stored.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 740 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I just went to yet another local outlet yesterday, (already tried Cabellas and Scheels) and the powder, bullet and brass availability was still pathetic.

This component shortage sucks, vote Republican!

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Going back to Africa in May dancing and will be taking a 338 win mag that really likes this powder. Have about 1 1/2#, so will be OK. Just don't like to have to worry about it. Surely things will loosen up....you'd think.

SCI conventon and DSC are coming up. Would like to talk with the manufacturers reps there and better understand the "why" of this prolonged shortage. Like, is it really just a bunch of too cautious hoarders, or is it something more systemic. Or gov't (military or homeland security) activities that are soaking up the components? coffee

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Don't have any help for you but share your frustration! Wsternhunter has it correct...vote Republican!!! They are far from perfect but dam...my kids could run the country better than the joker we have now! And at least the Republicans know gun owners butter their bread.

Been going through the same situation looking for AA-2230 for my .458 WM. It's a sad time for this country.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37750 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varget seems to be hit and miss here in Canada but the ammo/component shortage doesn't appear to be as bad as it is in the US.

Posts: 39 | Location: Saskatoon, SASKATCHEWAN | Registered: 08 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H T:
Or gov't (military or homeland security) activities that are soaking up the components? coffee

I would still like an explanation as to why DHS needs hundreds of millions of rounds. And no one in the media seems to think it matters enough to ask.

Between that and people panic buying that is sure to have an impact on the market.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H T - You have a PM.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I had a buddy that lives a few miles away ask me to keep my eyes open for some Varget. The next day I went component shopping and found bullets and primers but no brass nor powder.

I would ask the lads behind the counter what was the last time you saw Varget come into the store. The answers were from 3-12 months. Not good.

That made me wonder if the powder manufacturers are making large runs of a particular type of powder and Varget's turn is coming up soon???

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This could just be gossip based on no facts at all but I read somewhere that the plant that made Varget had fire damage. This is supposedly why the supply of that powder has dried up.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would still like an explanation as to why DHS needs hundreds of millions of rounds.

They did and it was answered .

1) DHS is making orders for ALL federal agencies . Not just one , all federal law inforcement is under DHS.

2) the contract is for an amount to be availible ,not so much as to be delivered . Basiclly they place an order saying we need the ability to by X anount of bullets . Thats the number in the contract . That is not the number that is accualy being delivered .

3) the contract is over many years . I forget what # but at least 6 maybe 10

4) I've done some research and it appears they have had less delivered the last few years then the few years proceeding .

5 )The conspiracy theorist are hand picking what they want you to hear instead of giving all the facts and letting us decide

Posts: 26 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 27 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deltam:
This could just be gossip based on no facts at all but I read somewhere that the plant that made Varget had fire damage. This is supposedly why the supply of that powder has dried up.

I have not heard of a fire at Mulwala. If there was a fire there it must of been a very small one.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Got an email from Chris Hodgdon. They're continuing to run at full production since January 2nd. No hint of any issues other than they can't keep up with demand.

posted Hide Post
My LGS has a good selection of IMR and some Hodgdon. Surprisingly they had a lot of cfe 223. No varget, and very little of the other hodgdon powders. Brass, bullets, and primers are no problem. Too high, but they have them.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Try here http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/ and here
http://store.thirdgenerationsh...owse.cfm/2,3663.html

They have been on and off but check daily, they have provided the powder I use.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
horse I give up. Called Cabelas local store in Phx and they have no powder. At all. Ordered from Powder Valley shortly thereafter. Shows out of stock, but we'll see what and when they can do.

Been bidding on gunbroker, but only lightly since reluctant to completely trust the way powder may have been stored. Plus, pretty furniture high!

Reason for my caution...Once got some 470 ammo on cheaper than dirt. It (the box) was water stained and I sent it back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, it must be a regional issue as I went to my local reloading shop and found Varget and several other powders that I was looking for, as well as primers, brass and bullets...

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H T , I live in AZ too. Cabelas would be the last place (right next to bps) I would ever check for reloading components (or most anything else for that matter). Lots of smaller shops in AZ with better prices and better selections. Try giving some a call to see if they have what your looking for. Also, if you are ever out of the valley, stores in small towns tend to have better stock of items in my experience. Good luck.

Posts: 97 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 06 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Just starting to see powder trickle into the LGS here in Norfolk, Virginia. Last time I saw Varget for sale was in June when I bought 10 pounds from Natchez for $267. Locally it has been over a year for most powder.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its easing up in Idaho, at least in my part of the state, I see some powders showing up no every week or so..I got 2 pounds each of CFE223, LVR, 4064, RL-17, 7828, Varget, they had some more, but don't recall what..bet its gone by now! that was last week. Sportsman Whse had two pounds of RL-17 so I grabbed them both, that was all the powder on their shelf, guess no body knew much about it, its relitively new..and its a great powder.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42138 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
horse I give up. Called Cabelas local store in Phx and they have no powder. At all. Ordered from Powder Valley shortly thereafter. Shows out of stock, but we'll see what and when they can do.

Been bidding on gunbroker, but only lightly since reluctant to completely trust the way powder may have been stored. Plus, pretty furniture high!

Reason for my caution...Once got some 470 ammo on cheaper than dirt. It (the box) was water stained and I sent it back.

Look up Bruno's Shoot Supply, close to the Deer Valley airport, just down the street from you. You can backorder and pick it up in person.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Smiler Much obliged!!
Will do just that. Got an email back from Powder Valley - my order was cancelled since some of the items are out of stock. Bummer...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Smiler Much obliged!!
Will do just that. Got an email back from Powder Valley - my order was cancelled since some of the items are out of stock. Bummer...

You may even want to just drop in. They're busy as can be and I think sometimes their website is not updated as soon as it should be. I was there a couple weeks ago and saw more powder there then I've seen anywhere for the last year.

http://www.brunoshooters.com/M...=SFNT&Store_Code=BSS

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Im finding out that if a guy asks the right people in various stores you can find out what days they get their powder shipments in, that is when to check.

Got some Varget @ my local cal ranch about a week or so ago, returned a couple days ago looking for some other powders only to find their shelves once again dried up. But I know which days to drop in on them now..

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Metal God:
quote:
I would still like an explanation as to why DHS needs hundreds of millions of rounds.

They did and it was answered .

1) DHS is making orders for ALL federal agencies . Not just one , all federal law inforcement is under DHS.

Lame excuse and a total non answer.. There is no way in hell they need the quantities they are ordering. There are conspiracies and then there are things that simply dont pass the smell test.

I suppose Fast and furious was just a "phony scandal" too?? In a pigs eye. Obama couldnt have not known about it and yet claimed executive privlege at the same time. Admit it, the powers that be are gungrabbers incorporated. Vote their asses out!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just ordered 5lbs from Cabelas.ca it's widely available here in Canada.

Posts: 39 | Location: Saskatoon, SASKATCHEWAN | Registered: 08 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I agree with wstrnhunr. We had better wake up as for the answer placed here (If you like your gun you take your gun period). If you believe anything that comes out of the goverments mouth these days you are the idiot of the month.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H T,
My offer still stands if you want to drive to Pagosa.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
SmilerGot it covered. Went to Bruno's in Deer Valley (9 miles from home) and got on the list for a Varget delivery due very soon.

There are other powders that will certainly work, and I had good luck in my 338 Win Mag with Reloder 19 as well as the Varget. Not very good with RL 22, RL 15, or IMR 4350. 2" groups, as in. But since I have some time and about 1.5 lbs of Varget, I wanted to hold out until I found some. Have done so, happily!

The response of the good folks on this forum and their offers to help, help remind me that the community of hunters and shooters is alive and doing well.

THanks to all !