Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 reloading dies for Model 336 or 94
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
I load for my Contender with regular old dies . . . NOT sure of brand.

Want to load some ammo from once fired brass for a friend.

Do I have to buy the small base dies to accomplish this, or will "normal" 30-30 dies work?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
full length sizing dies should be used if the once fired shells are to be reloaded and used in a different gun. if the shells are being reloaded and used the same 30-30 that fired them the first time I've read where some suggest full length resizing and some say it's ok to just neck size. I've recently started reloading 30-30 and I've been full length sizing with hornady dies. But I'm not sure I like hornady. I've also been reloading 22-250 using rcbs and lee dies doing full length sizing and neck sizing without any problems at all. But with my 30-30 reloading it seems like the shell gets stretched too much and the shoulder of the shell looks nothing like a factory load. I'm very careful about making sure the lubrication is just right for the shell and the expander. And I also make sure the inside of the neck is clean.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Full length resize and trim so they are uniform in length. Then give a good crimp in cannelure.This is neccesary with tubular magazines. I've never seen a need for small base dies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually in the 30-30 caliber most dies are small base and always have been, they just didn't have a name for them back when...or so I was told by a RCBS rep.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote