New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to magnums
 Login/Join

<CAL9 from planet Fargo>
posted
I purchased my first magnum (7mm rem) recently and would like to reload for it. CAn some of you experienced in magnums give me some tips to help out or look out for. I have been reloading for about 5 years now, but never a belted mag. Is case stretching as much of a problem as I have heard? Tips for getting around it? Accuracy tips? Full length dies or neck sizer?

Thanks,
CAL9

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have reloaded for my .300 Win. mag. for about 12 years. I only neck size and have had no trouble with cases stretching or case life. I do not load hot and have the same cases I started with. I can not begin to guess how many times they have been reloaded.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same here as Jacobite except for hunting ammo I set the shoulder back .002-.003".

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Double check every few loading with a sharpened paper clip bent in the inside. Feelabove the belt. That is where most of the case strech happens. You will be able to feel a rim forming above the strech. It is easier to see if your reloading manual has a section on checking cases for defects. I think Hornady and Speer (going by my memory)manuals have a cutaway of what the this looks like.

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ignore the belt and re-load just like with a bottle necked cartridge. Neck size until you get ready to go hunting then set your shoulders back a tiny amount. Just enough to allow ready and rapid reloading. Good luck, most 7mags are tack drivers. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAL9 from planet Fargo:
1. Is case stretching as much of a problem as I have heard? 2. Accuracy tips? 3. Full length dies or neck sizer?
CAL9

1. It depends on how well your chamber and Full Length Resizer Die matches up. No way to predict this, but I've never had any "case stretching" problems of any kind with Belted Cases.

2. Use the non-rookieized, original Creighton Audette Load Development Method and you have the best chance of achieving the best accuracy in your rifle.

3. I've found over a very long time that if you use Full Length Dies set so they Partial-Full Length Resize(a slightly snug Bolt Close on a P-FLRed case), you will get a bit better accuracy than using Neck Sizing Dies.

However, the Neck Sizer Dies are nice if you want to avoid having to lube cases and then remove it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote