New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do Magnum Primers Raise Velocities?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if Magnum Primers produce more velocity than Standard primers,and if so, how much?
Thanks,
Jeff

Posts: 101 | Location: WA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I had the same question just a few months back. I loaded up some 338 Win Mag loads with 215M (magnum) primers, and the same identical load with 210M primers. The propellant was RL22. To my surprise the 210M primer loads fired under the same conditions, were 5 fps FASTER than the magnum loads. While three rounds of each doesn't necessarily tell the story, it did tell me that velocity really isn't affected, at least with this load in this gun.

I usually change primers only towards the tail end of load development in most every gun. I've never seen more than �30 fps difference in any of the primers, and even then I couldn't be sure with such a slight difference that it wasn't some other factor, such as slighly different case capacity, different ambient conditions, fouling in barrel, etc.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's interesting to see Bob's result.

I did a test in a 30-06 class cartridge with H4831 and with H4350. There was no difference in pressure or muzzle velocity with CCI normal vs. magnum primers.

I was surprised, to say the least.

So now you have two different experimenters coming up with the same answer...

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I've seen test series where the magnum primers produced slightly LOWER velocities and pressures. I don't think there's any way to accurately predict which way it goes, but IMO it won't make a really big difference in most of the usual rifle cartridges and loads. It's safest to work it up again when you change any component.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I've seen test series where the magnum primers produced slightly LOWER velocities and pressures. I don't think there's any way to accurately predict which way it goes, but IMO it won't make a really big difference in most of the usual rifle cartridges and loads. It's safest to work it up again when you change any component.

I have had exactly that result with Norma MRP and CCI primers when loading 280 Rem. to 3100 + fps.

Velocity was slightly lower with the "Magnum" primer but velocity was more consistant.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Conversely, I've also seen reports of too-high pressures caused by "weak" primers, which may relate to some of the ongoing discussions about hangfires and kabooms.

I've seen a trend toward better velocity consistency in several rifle loads with the magnum primers. I think that when I use up my current stock of CCI 200s I may just standardize on the 250s for everything as I have some magnum loads that really need them and it'd simplify my component inventory to use them across the board.

BTW, I don't think that our magnum Boxer primers are any hotter than, maybe not as hot as, some of the Berdan primers that the Europeans have used in standard cartridges for many decades. With no anvil in the cup, those primers hold more mixture, and some are also of larger diameter than our Large Rifle primers.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I was wondering if Magnum Primers produce more velocity than Standard primers,and if so, how much?
Thanks,
Jeff

I've never seen it

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well so much for that idea. Some of my loads in my .270 Win could use a little more velocity and consistency. Looks like I'll have to settle for the consistency.
Thank You Gentlemen,
Jeff

Posts: 101 | Location: WA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a side by side test of the 215 vrs CCi's Br2 in a 7mm WSM using RL 22 and a 140 SPT. The velocity from the magnum primers was 25 fps higher. Accuracy was good with both loads.

This is not conclusive nor a laboratory level experiment. Since the cartridge is large anyway I went with the magnum primers.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Jeff, some twenty years ago, I tried Federal 215 primers instead of Federal 210s for my .270 Winchester loads. To my surprise, I gained over 100 fps. simply by changing primers and with superb accuracy to boot. Then I read a .270 piece by Jack O'Connor in an old edition of "Handloaders Digest", and noticed that he used CCI 250 magnum primers in his .270 Win. loads. Later, I read a Dave Petzel piece in which he stated that he preferred magnum primers for his .270 Win. loads as well.

Next, I tried Federal 215s with my old, standard .30-06 load with Winchester cases, IMR 4831 powder, and 180 gr. Nosler Partitions. I gained over 50 fps., velocities became more uniform, and accuracy improved slightly.

According to Alliant, standard primers are advised with the Reloader powders. Now for some ten years, I'd (I guess ignorantly) loaded Reloader 22 in the .300 Win. Mag. with Federal 215 primers and 180 gr. bullets, but with superb results. Finally, I decided to try standard primers, in this case Federal 210Ms. Velocity took a dive by over 100 fps., extreme spread went from 12 fps. or less to over 150 fps., and accuracy went to heck in a handbasket. I went back to 215s and all was well, so, at least in this case, "official position" be dipped!

The truth is, there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to powder/primer combos, or much of anything else. You must experiment, and you must use a chronograph or else you're literally "shooting" in the dark. Every rifle and every lot of powder is a law unto itself.........

AD