Find
Notify
Tools

reloading before the internet
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
Do you remeber what it was like learning to load before the net?

I did not have any friends or relitives who loaded to turn to for help when I started. I asked questions at the local shops but it seemed they were talking a different langauge and it was a crap shoot to get anyone on the same page. I bought the books but the learning was slow by todays standards. I stopped loading for ten years and then started again last year. Ive learned more off this sight in a month then I did in two years before. God bless the net. [Big Grin]

Thanks guys. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i was lucky enough to have a good friend who was patient and experienced to teach me everything about hands on reloading. he taught me the fine pionts of casting bullets. a lot about ballistics and such. i only wish every one had such a friend. some of the stuff i learnded i never would have caught on to.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in the learning process right now and I could not possibly imagine doing this without the internet. I found one guy at the local store that knew what he was talking about and got me started on some books, but for that "oh crap, what am I doing wrong?" question this forum(and the internet in general) cannot be beat.

-Carl

Posts: 153 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: 30 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I remember those day very well, and the most common heard phrase was, "I wonder what this will do?"

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I didn't have anyone to learn from so, as w/ many situations like this, I read everything I could about reloading & then did what most of us still do, trial & error. I think the internet allows us to narrow that trial & error process.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gun magazines and reloading manuals.

<bigcountry>
posted
I can't say I know what it was like. But I know one thing, it would have been tough without the internet. Cause I knew noone that reloaded. I taught a friend how to reload one day. I took him thru one step at a time. I told him, he didn't know how lucky he was to have someone show him how. When starting to reload, I questioned every move I made.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I have been lucky I have been reloading and helping reload for 40 years long before the net. My Dad started me helping him. You read asked others ect. The net is fun but.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine how many mistakes I would have avoided over the years if there was an internet back in 1969 when I started loading. Nobody in my family loaded, or even shot more that 4 or 5 shots a year to sight in and shoot a deer each year.

There were two guys in my hometown, that I knew of, that reloaded. As it turned out, one was pretty sharp, and gave me some good information, the other one didn't know much more than I did. Anyway it was read and try, read some more and try again, for the most part.

Yeah, it would be nice to have all this information available to a beginning reloader, but I still had a lot of fun learning the old fashioned way, and at least I got enough information to not hurt myself and there are a lot of lessons that I will never forget.

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had my dad and he showed me where to find stuff in the manuals. The rest I learned on my own. It sure helps to have someone to show you the right way though.

Posts: 66 | Location: Troy Montana | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I began learning to reload some 20 something odd years ago from my brother in law and he is too impatient to be a good teacher, so I went to books. I have certianly benefitted from these pages and the guys who share their knowledge of the sport, thats why I hang around. Best I can do to show my appreciation is to pass on the insight.

Thanks guys!

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the good old days,1952 one could start reloading with a Lyman True Line Jr. press small Dia. dies and the Lymon reloading manual. I asked around and found that a gunsmith some 40 miles from home reloaded. I was afraid that I may damage my then new 270 Win. rifle so I went to see him. He showed the basics and gave me his mild load data using H 4831 and 4895 for the 130 and 100 Gr.bullets .He then sold me the bulk surplus powder for 25 cents per pound,bullets for around $3.00 per 100,don,t recall the primer price. I went to Cheyenne Wyo. with my folks where I purchased the reloading tools. My son gave a computer upone my retirement . With all the web sites, Now days you boys starting up got it made.

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of information on the net, and it is not all good. You have to be a good judge of the information and its author, and make sure it is consistent with what the loading manuals say.

However, good information from experienced reloaders is to be found on the net, and is very useful. It is especially helpful in suggesting load development techniques and goals.

I started reloading before the internet, or computers, or (consumer) chronographs. Good books shed the only light on the subject. It was a long, slow learning process.

The first breakthrough was Ken Oehler's chronograph, which I bought from his garage shop way back when. For the first time, we had some idea of what our loads were doing in our own rifles!

Now we have come all the way to consumer pressure testing equipment. Amazing.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I began handloading three years ago so have reaped the benefits of the 'net. I've read a number of books and manuals ( and I still prefer curling - up with a book over sitting in front of a monitor ). Where the various forums have been the greatest assist to me are in the many discussions of equipment and components : digital vs. beam scales, case prep tools, lubes, etc. No doubt I would have eventually tried lots of stuff before settling on what I use now based on good input.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know guys who reload and are still not on the internet.

One guy has a load from a 60's Lymnan manual that he has shot a deer with every year for 30 years.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I find the biggest advantage for myself is the trouble shooting. It used to take a heck of a long time to iron out the wrinkles but now a days I key in the problem and in the morning there is a doz opinions to work with.

It also helps if you are short a manual or two. I have looked through my manuals to help other people out and I've used this resource myself.

Trading equipment is something that pays off on the net also. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was very lucky when I first started because of a very patient gunsmith taught me how to reload using his equipment. He then helped me select my own equipment and helped me get it set up. He logged in many hours of his time explaining even my dumbist questions and show me how to load and did this until I felt confident enough to go it on my own. Even then he would ask for me to bring some of my reloads to him and let him check them out. He has since past away and I sure miss him.

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote