New
Find
Notify
Tools

loading virgin brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have just started to load some virgin brass for some fire forming rounds for my 30.06 AI and have noticed on a few that there seems to be a slight ripple around the base of the neck, is this normal?

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That doesn't sound right. Most bulk brass vendors of my experience recommend that you run their brass thru the reloading die first, before firing it.
Of course, you are working with a wildcat from the get go, which may add to the problem. Have you miked your new brass before fireforming, etc...?

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The brass is lapua straight out of the box, all i have done is chamfer the neck, powdered up and sat the bullet in, brass hasnt been fired yet.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Alex, I shoot a .30-06 AI and have never had the issue you describe. Especially with virgin Lapua brass! Check your dimensions before firing, and load them long to keep the head against the boltface. Great fun cartridge, equals factory .300's for the most part.

cheers Cheers it is!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen that... these ripples... are Dents? you have not run them through a sizing die... I would send them back...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was cheating, didnt size them first, just seated them straight from the box.
I did use some big old 180gn flat based bullets, i dont think that helped either, the ripples have blown out a treat though while fire forming so they should be ok from here on in.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
really havnt got to the bottom of the ripples,
i have loaded more virgin brass from the same batch and same bullets but these have loaded up nice a straight.
oh well, one of reloading's unsolved!

thanks all for the input

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alex.Y:
really havnt got to the bottom of the ripples,
i have loaded more virgin brass from the same batch and same bullets but these have loaded up nice a straight.
oh well, one of reloading's unsolved!

thanks all for the input

Maybe without resizing, the neck is too large
in diameter by a very tiny amount and the seating die is slightly pushing back on the neck of the brass, deforming it?

Or conversely a minute too tight for the bullet which would cause a slight rippling of the neck which is probably not supported well if it's a little too tight for the bullet??

Could the seating die be improperly adjusted?
Most seating dies are set up to slightly crimp
when seated all the way down. Raise the die about the thickness of a dime and reset the seating using the bullet seating stem. This is usually the problem when such occurs!

Regards,

Don

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Resize all new brass. Just my opine!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rusty,
noted, all new cases get the size treatment now.

don, I think you might have it there with the seating die set up. Thinking about it I did crank it back a smidge before i sat the next lot of bullets up and like i said earlier the problem didnt occur.

Thanks for all the help. I know now for next time

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alex.Y:
rusty,
noted, all new cases get the size treatment now.

don, I think you might have it there with the seating die set up. Thinking about it I did crank it back a smidge before i sat the next lot of bullets up and like i said earlier the problem didnt occur.

Thanks for all the help. I know now for next time

Yep, Been there done that, buddy! Roll Eyes

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I neck size all virgin brass

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you have your seating die too low? I have slightly collapsed cases at the shoulder before that way...and your description sounds similar.

Some pictures would be a great help in a diagnosis.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote