New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idiot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went to the gun range which is a small state own, 2 benches at 25,2 benches at 50 and 3 benches at 100 yd. with my 303 savage in a model 99 savage rifle shot once at 25 yd inch low,at 50 yd shot 3 times dead on 3/4 inch group. T moved down to the 100 yd bench,got settled in racked one into the chamber,at the corner of my eye I saw some movement here was a man about 65 or 70 years old picking up brass in front of the 25 yd bench,I racked open the rifle, ask the guy can you wait until I'm done shooting before you pick up the brass.he starred me down then walked back behind the bench,I racked the shell back in rifle ,my mind was not on the target,I shot anyway and again that man was in front of the 25 yd bench picking up brass. I packed my stuff up and left. What is wrong with people,I guess the brass was more Important than his life. How would I explain if a bullet did ricochet and injured or killed him.

Posts: 118 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
In the event of an accident, I would explain it as natural selection.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In situations like that I tend to use inappropriate language. Including some old ones learned in the Navy.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened at the White Ranch Shooting Range here, it's an unmanned State Conservation Range, there are three 100 yd rifle positions and just a few feet away are three 50 yd positions. There is a berm behind the 50 yd targets but you can still see the 100 yd targets. I was shooting at one of the 50 yd positions when out of the corner of my eye I saw a guy walking down to his 100 yd target. I yelled at him that the range was still hot and his comment was 'just shoot me then, I don't care' and kept walking. I loaded my stuff up while he was down range and left. In the pic you can see the 100 yd targets on the right.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot at a members only un manned range and got to experience some of what you guys are talking about and more, some by what would seem like experienced shooters.
I saw guys walk in front of the firing line while people were shooting to set up chronographs, picking up brass, picking up targets that blew off the bench without a word just got up and walked in front of live fire benches.
I'm glad I don't have to deal with that anymore, I've set up a great range on my farm.
There are several shooting ranges in the National Forest near here and I hear absolute horror stories about the idiots and "gangsta" style shooting displays going on there.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My usual shooting range is on private property, a farm, which I am privileged to use as one of a select few allowed to do so. Conveniently it's less than a 30 min. drive from home and most times when I go I am the only shooter there. The farm owner is a very accommodating guy and happy to see the range used by those chosen to do so. The relationship between him and the range users is based strongly on trust but one time I think he took this a bit too far. One day I was there shooting loads at my target board from 250 yds, fully concentrating on best technique. The sound of an approaching motorbike interrupted my composure and I looked up to work out where it was. Suddenly the farmer popped over the little hill to one side of the butts and drove right to where the target board was, hopped off and started mending something on the little electric fence there. He knew I was there shooting as I had obtained his permission only that morning. Obviously I immediately made my rifle safe but perplexed I walked down there and asked if he wanted me to cease shooting and leave or come back later. He hastened to assure me that I should keep shooting. I said I could not and would not while he was in the firing line but he simply said he was not bothered and trusted me not to shoot him !! He is certainly no fool but I just couldn't believe that he had that much faith in me. Not knowing what else to say I just thanked him for the compliment and slowly returned to my shooting bench with reeling thoughts. I think I said a silent prayer of thanks I did not fire a stray shot just as he rode into my line of fire.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2091 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our 1000 member 17 range gun club has hired a "maintenance man" that seems to think he's a 'range cop'.
No matter who or where, he'll show up to check you out, ask for your card, make sure you know not to shoot the steel with a rifle etc.

I usually park my truck to block any other access by others at the entrance to a blocked in pit area surrounded by berms. Only one 20 ft wide entrance blocked with my truck. Just about as safe as it can get.

One day I was shooting the 45 Colt at steel from the tailgate. i was the only one there.
About the third shot fired the asshole walked around my truck right in to the line of fire. I do wish I'd fired it off and powder blasted him to teach him a lesson.

No reason in the world to walk around that side of the truck. He could have saved a few steps by coming up behind me from the other side. Doubt that would have scared me as much as having the gun right in his face.

I haven't seen him do it, but, others have said he sits on the hill just out of sight watching with binocs to make sure no one shoots steel with the rifles. Such as that.

Sooner or later someones gonna get fed up with his doings and it's gonna be bloodshed.

Things like that happen it totally ruins my concentration so much I just as well pack up and go home.

I can understand folks trusting each other IF you know each other well. As STUPID teens, bil and I used my '06 and shot empty, or near empty beer cans off each others palms at 25yds. It's a wonder one of us didn't get hit and lost a hand. Just too damned easily done.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote