Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load for Remington 783 in 7 mag
 Login/Join

posted
I was just able to pick up a new 783 in 7mm Rem Mag really cheap and it's the first 7 mag I've owned. Just wondering if someone might be able to lead me in the right direction for a good Colorado mule deer/elk load. I would appreciate any feedback you could give.

Posts: 9 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I use a Nosler 160 accubond for all my larger 7mm loads. Use the 140 Accubond in the wife's 7x57. Never have had one fail.

In the 7mag I look to 7828, Rl22 and MRP. I have not tried any of the new slower powders. My loads are going to be at or above what Nosler calls max but QL calculates way below the SAAMI max.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I worked up a good load using IMR4350 and 160gr Partitions or Grand Slams and used that for everything. That said, I used it on mulies, elk and antelope. I've never used it east of the big river.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7mm Rem mag
150g NP
63g IMR 4831
Fed 215
Has been my load for the past 30+ years
IF I wanted more from a 7mag, I would simply substitute in the 160g NP and call it good

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. It will all help get me a good start as I find a particular load that this gun will really like.

Posts: 9 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never seen a 7mm mag that didn't like IMR 7828.150 gr Nosler Partitions are an excellent bullet for deer and elk. The last few years I find myself using more and more Barnes bullets. The 140 gr Barnes TTSX will penetrate like most 160 gr cup and core bullets. I've shot right through a couple pretty big bull elk with that 140 gr TTSX. I would try both in a 7mm and use the one that groups best in YOUR rifle.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used and reloaded for the 7mm Rem Mag for decades now and really can't add much to what's already been said by the contributors above... except now I've switched over to IMR 7977 for the rifles in this cartridge.

I always fogured the 140 was for deer and 160 for elk but it doesn't have to be that way. So many more great choices nowadays compared to when

I started with 139 Hornady's SBT for deer and 160 Partition's for bear and elk but they would still be great today but I'd plug in the 140 AB in place of the 139 H because I like bonding.

My 2 cents,
Zeke