New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading .338 Win Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
New to the forum, and I've got a bit of a question. I recently bought a .338 Win Mag, and I love it. I'm reloading for it, and already have a good load worked up, but the crimp is giving me a lot of heartache. I was just wondering what kind of crimp you folks are using on your .338 WM.

mike

Posts: 180 | Location: Bremerton, Wa | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What sort of problems are you having? Are you crimping as a seperate operation or trying to seat the bullet and crimp in one operation? To crimp all of the cases must be the same length. Why are you crimping?

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I usually don't crimp. I use a light roll crimp when using Woodliegh PP's. Have not had any troubles other than misadjustments on my part. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My problem is velocity. My rifle's best (most accurate) groups are shot @ 2613 fps. I'm only lightly crimping.

Just curious, as the brass I shot my last 3 groups with, was 1 thousanth shorter than all my other brass, and with the same load, it yielded 50 fps faster, which opened up my group considerably.

mike

Posts: 180 | Location: Bremerton, Wa | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cndrm:
My problem is velocity. My rifle's best (most accurate) groups are shot @ 2613 fps. I'm only lightly crimping.

mike

2613 with what weight bullet?

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry, I'm using the 225 gr. Hornady SST's

mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't crimp at all in my .338. What load are you using?

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Terry, I'm using the 225 gr. Hornady SST's

mike

You are right, 2613 is a bit slow for 225 gr. My favorite load is 70 gr of IMR 4350, 72 gr Rel 19, or try 74 gr REl 22 as those give me high 2700's, which is about all one can expect.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, the load I'm currently using is 70.2 gr. of RL-22, pushing the 225 SST's @ 2613 fps. yielding .5" group @ 100 yds. I'm using a very light crimp.

I loaded up to 74 gr. of RL-22, and while I did get arounds 2700 fps, the group opened up to about 2" @ 100. thumbdown

mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
How important is 100 fps??? I'd stick with the 2613 load, and go hunting. Never found a Kudu yet that could tell the difference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's kind of what I thought. I think I'd rather put the bullet exactly where I want it, than have an additional 100 fps. (especially with the performance I get). Not bad for a $300 rifle.

mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jeff, the load I'm currently using is 70.2 gr. of RL-22, pushing the 225 SST's @ 2613 fps. yielding .5" group @ 100 yds. I'm using a very light crimp.

I loaded up to 74 gr. of RL-22, and while I did get arounds 2700 fps, the group opened up to about 2" @ 100. thumbdown

mike

Mike:
I too use Rldr-22 powder but with a 225 gr. Northfork. I'd have to check my notes but I think my velocity was in the range you mention when I used 70.5 grs. I've since upped my powder charge to about 72.5 grs. and velocity is at 2800 fps. measured w/ a chrono. BTW, I always seat these bullets to 0.010" off the lands as measured to the ogive. I don't crimp & see no need to. Hope this helps some. Later, Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. It seems that the crimp, if one is used at all, is very slight.

Bear, I shot groups ranging from 68 to 74 gr. of RL-22, and the pattern opens up very rapidly on both sides of 70.2 gr. It opens up to about 2" or so, which is far larger than I want to shoot.

Thanks again for all the help. Any information is always welcome.

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .338WM is a wonderful caliber. I've had great success with IMR4831 behind 225 gr Swift A-Frames. Even though the Swift's have a groove for crimping I haven't found the need for crimping the bullets.

Shawn

Posts: 51 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woody, The Hornady SST's also have a cannaleur groove in them. I'm just barely puting any crimp on them, but when I shot some cases that were .001 shorter, they obviously got less crimp, and my velocity increased by about 40-50 fps, taking my .5" group load, and scattering it to over 1.5". That's why I asked about people crimping for this load.

mike

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey cn

Here is a test done and posted right here on AR

http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html

Here is a previous discussion on Lee Factory Crimp Dies, which IMO are the only way to go

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../798100962#798100962

You don't need a cannelure to crimp into and it will crimp the same no matter if one case is a little longer than another one.

I use 75.5 gr RL19 behind a 225 gr Barnes Triple Shock for 2835 fps. That is .5 gr below Max load according to Barnes data I have.

I'm not going to say that it will work in your rifle, just that it is the most accurate load in my rifle. I also worked up from 72.5 gr RL19 like anyone else should.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Try switching powders if you want to push it faster and still group well. IMR4350 has been really good for mine. I am using RL22 under a 250gr Woodliegh with good accuracy though and it's pretty near maxed out for pressure.

Your rifle may be less finicky with a different bullet.

Then again as Terry said. If it shoots that well why sweat 100 fps? Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
I've loaded 73grs. RE19 with a 225 Interbond, Hornady says 2700 for that load and it's very accurate. And I don't crimp either. Switch to RE19, says right on the can, Powder of choice for 338WM. There's a reason they put that on the can, it works great in the 338.

BTW, 77grs. RE22 is the max for the 225 Hornady for a velocity 2790, , 75.3grs. RE19 for a vel. of 2865 per Alliant manual. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My SST/SYN 700 BDL in .338wm is my most prized piece of hunting equipment. I do not crimp my reloads in any way. I also use what is the minimum neck sizing in order to hold my bullets in place.

To determine this I varried the amount of neck sizing on several shells that I reloded without primer or powder, measured them all with a set of calipers and my Stony Point Comparitore, then placed them in my 700 detachable box magizine and exposed them to a days worth of firing at the range. After 45 rounds I removed them and remeasured them to see if the bullets had moved at all.

Much to my total amaizment, none of the bullets had moved what so ever. I repeated this process with other bullets as well with identicle results.

Needless to say I feel it is not nessasary to crimp my .338wm reloads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help guys.

Nate, I've tried loads using IMR 4350, and the performance was 1.75" groups @ 100 yards. I may still try RL-19.

I'm not done experimenting with different bullets and loads. Far from it. So I very much appreciate your input. I'll most likely try to refine my SST load a bit more, but I think the 250 grain bullets are next.

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't crimp with woodleigh 225 gr protected points. Rifles is a Ruger stainless sporter. Load is 68 gr of AR2209 fed 215m and win case. (safe in my gun maybe not yours though Wink)

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, for all your help. I think I'm going to try a factory crimp die. That will get rid of any problem with the brass length. I'll see how that turns out.

mike

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys, for all your help. I think I'm going to try a factory crimp die. That will get rid of any problem with the brass length. I'll see how that turns out.

mike

Mike, Don't mess with a factory crimp die, no need for it. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had really good results using Rl-22 and 250 grain bullets. 73.0 grains in WW brass with Rem 9 1/2 will launch 250 grain bullets at 2740 in my 24" barrel. Accuracy is generally under 1" for 3 shots.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
The SST does have a cannelure, so it is ok to crimp. If you are going to make a crimp, all of the cases must be sized exactly the same and trim to the same length. A light roll crimp is enough, it shouldn't deform the grooves in the cannelure.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote