Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30/06 overall length?
 Login/Join

posted
I hope this is not to stupid! I undrstand the maximum overall length, is there a minimum? I am using Hornady 150 grain FMJBT bullets. When I made a dummy cartridge for my M1917 the OAL is 3.180 and the cannelure sits on the case mouth. "it looks correct" When I make a dummy cartridge for my Garand the OAL is 3.325 and the cannelure is .14 above the case mouth. Is that ok? It just looks strange. I am prety new to reloading this cartridge and hope this is a no brainer! TIA Enis

Posts: 2 | Location: Rochester, IN | Registered: 27 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Enis:
I hope this is not to stupid! I undrstand the maximum overall length, is there a minimum? I am using Hornady 150 grain FMJBT bullets. When I made a dummy cartridge for my M1917 the OAL is 3.180 and the cannelure sits on the case mouth. "it looks correct" When I make a dummy cartridge for my Garand the OAL is 3.325 and the cannelure is .14 above the case mouth. Is that ok? It just looks strange. I am prety new to reloading this cartridge and hope this is a no brainer! TIA Enis

We all are still learning about this fun hobby ..IF we are lucky....the OAL doesn't matter except for fitting in a magazine on some guns...and for the best accuracy the length of the ogive..the fat part of the bullet as set as a standard by the gun/ammo industry...SAAMI...from the start of the rifling in the barrel determines the BEST.most accurate length of that bullet in that gun's chamber for just accuracy....WARNING..if you are using a HOT full pressure load and then seat the bullet deeper...shorter OAL...the PRESSURE CAN/USUALLY GETS HIGHER.....and can be dangerous in extreme cases...therefore work up loads at the length you are going to use in your gun....the cannalure? sp....if for crimping loads for auto/pump type actions that may set the bullet back if it isn't tight in the neck of the case......bottom line....as long as you aren't topped out on pressure and the round will fit in the magazine or chamber then it's ok no matter how short or long it is..BUT they take field use and handling better if one diameter of bullet caliber is in the neck of the shell...exp.224 deep for a 22,,,,,.30 for a 30caliber...this is on a flat base bullet and normal neck and dies for normal shooting....but most loads are seated deeper esp. factory loads so they fit into all guns safely.....good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Enis,
trim your cases to factory specs, the crimp on the cannalure so that the cannalure does not show. That keeps life simple and they will feed in the Marlin or Win. magazines....Use a factory round for a dummy...Your locked into that on a 30-30 unless you have a bolt gun...

Posts: 42010 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops, I read that 30-30 not 30-06 so void the above and lets start over.....

With any bolt gund, using a wood dowel, place a bullet in your chamber snug (just a bullet only) run the dowel down the barrel from the muzzle and mark it when it barely touches the bullet...then take the bullet out close the bolt and measure the same way to the bolt face and measure that...using a mic measure between your two marks. That will give you the OAL of that round loaded (only with that bullet) You must do this with every bullet you intend to load, keep a record of these measurements...The make a dummy of each...They will load touching the lands, now you can set them back 10, 15, 20 thousands or what ever you wish...

In many cases you may have to seat your bullets by the lenth of the magazine as for some unknown reason most factories and most "custom" gunsmiths do not cut chambers to match the magazine and thats a shame....

Posts: 42010 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reason for maximum overall length: Fit magazine and clear lands.

Reason for minimum overall length: Feed properly from magazine. This is usually only applicable to autos and not to bolts, although I've seen a few bolts that would hiccup with short cartridges.

Your 1917 would probably feed a .308 just fine from the magazine, so I doubt that your 3.18" cartridges would give you any trouble. It's likely that you don't need to crimp, so pay no attention to the crimping groove and seat the bullet wherever you seem to get the best accuracy.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote