New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help resizing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am FL resizing for some once fired 7-08 brass fired once in my friends rifle. Some chambers fine, some chambers hard, some will not chamber at all. I have turned the RCBS die down another 1/4 turn after contact with the shell holder to see if that would help. It did on some but some are still hard to chamber and one still will not chamber at all.

I measured that one to see if I might have bulged the case a little and they are all the same at the base of the shoulder. Rounds fired in my gun chamber perfect even with just neck sizing. I have a little brass for my gun but this guy gave me over two hundred rounds of once fired. I just don't understand why they don't all resize the same. I have heard of filing the shell holder down when the shoulder won't set back with some dies. I will do it if so advised. Thanks for any help. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
Check the length of the brass to see if it needs to be trimmed.

Also mic. once fired brass from your rifle and compare against the brass that is giving you problems, that should show where the problem lies.

If the RCBS die is not sizing the brass enough, give them a call. They will help you with a die that will.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 300WSM that won't chamber new brass. I set the sizer die down as low as possibe and still would not set the shoulder back enough. Instead of filing the shell holder I ground some of the material off the bottom of the die with a bench belt grinder. Voila! It works like a charm now. Before you alter anything on your equipment you need to measure the case diameter of the case that won't chamber and then measure the diameter of a case that chambers easily in your rifle. Measure .5" in front of the case head and midway and then also behind the shoulder. Compare the two sets of measurements for any discrepancies and then decide what needs to be done to fix the problem. I had the same thing happen when I sold a 7.62 Nato chambered rifle and bought a new 308Win and used the brass that had been shot in the military surplus rifle. They were hard to chamber in the new rifle but I shot them anyway and fire-formed them to the new chamber and solved the problem for future sizing.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, Case length is OK. I'll do some more measuring tonight. Oddly enough, I can resize once fired 308's and they chamber fine. Have not checked for any difference on the dimensions between 308 and 7-08 except the neck of course. I'm not even down to the end of the neck on the 308's and they chamber easier than anything else in 7-08.

I'm gonna call that guy and see if he shot two different 7-08 rifles. He only had one when we shot together the other day. That might be the culprit. I think he has two 7-08's. Just thought about that. Thanks again, I still want to resize the tight ones, might just need to separate them out. thanks again, Merg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you lubing the inside of the necks? If not the expander button could be draging the shoulders forward.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep, I'm lubing necks cause I've experienced that before. I thought I posted a few minutes ago that the ammo might have been shot from two different firearms. But I think I forgot to hit the post now button. Merg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Size the case and pull it out of the die just far enough to turn it 180° then size it again very slowly. That will usually take care of it unless the rifle is a Browning BLR.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote