Find
Notify
Tools

Question on Powder Name
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Col K
posted
Years back I used to use Herco 4227 in my 44mag. I believe Alliant powders took over Hercules, which brings me to the question, is Alliant 4227 and Herco 4227 the same powder? Can 4227 be used with Herco 4227 data. I know H4227 and IMR4227 are different, but I'm not sure about the Alliant/Hercules part.

Posts: 350 | Location: GA by way of PA, OH, KY, TX, VA, and NC | Registered: 10 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Herco is not 4227 anything Herco is Herco powder old name Hercules new name Alliant . IMR and H4227 are Extremely close on the burn scale 75 76 respectively Herco is I thing around 46 or some where in that range .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have loaded H4227 in 44 mag and some imr. i have never heard of herco 4227. Hercules made a powder called HERCO, which was a fast burn rate powder. how long ago did you load this [hercules]4227 i have loaded for 25 years and have never seen it as herco 4227. herco is not a powder company. herco is made by alliant it is a little faster than blus dot. alliant does not show a 4227 in its line up

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Herco is Herco !.

PRODUCT NAME: Herco double-base smokeless powder
APPEARANCE: granular solid HMIS RATINGS
COLOR: Gray/black Health hazard: 2 MODERATE
ODOR: Odorless Flammability hazard: 4 SEVERE
CASRN: mixture Reactivity hazard: 4 SEVERE
CHEMICAL DESCRIPTION: Double-base smokeless propellant.

4227 is an entirely different animal !.

I have " Most " old canister powder tins brass and cardboard containers from 1908 through present day . No where did Hercules EVER post 4227 on HERCO !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally don't go back with them quite so far but a fair number of years .

In 1907, the Justice Department filed suit claiming that E. I. du Pont de Nemours was in violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act. This litigation was settled in 1912 when the company divested itself of its high explosives business and the Atlas and Hercules Powder Companies were set up as independent entities.

The Hercules Powder Company was one of the several small explosives companies acquired by the Du Pont Company in the 1880s. By the beginning of the 20th century, Du Pont had absorbed so many of its competitors that it was producing two-thirds of the dynamite and gunpowder sold in the United States. In 1912, a federal court, citing the Sherman Anti-Trust Act, ordered Du Pont broken up. It was through this court-ordered action that the Hercules Powder Company was reborn, a manufacturer of explosives ostensibly separate from Du Pont.

The division of the Du Pont Company into Du Pont, Atlas Powder Company, and Hercules Powder Company was intended to foster competition in the explosives industry, but in reality the antitrust agreement allowed the connection between Hercules and the parent company to remain intact. The new company was staffed by executives who had been transplanted from the Du Pont headquarters across the street into the main offices of Hercules in Wilmington, Delaware. As Fortune magazine remarked in 1935, "The Hercules headquarters is in Wilmington and breathes heavily Dupontizied air." Not only did the Du Pont family retain a substantial financial interest in Hercules, but as late as 1970 the president of Hercules was related to the Du Pont family.

The Hercules Powder Company was set up as a fully developed business entity, complete with several explosives factories, a healthy segment of the explosives market, and a $5 million "loan" in its treasury. It operated successfully and made a profit from its very first year. Given its early advantage, it is not surprising that Hercules developed into one of the larger chemical companies in the United States.

Hercules began as an explosives company serving the mining industry, gun owners, and the military. In the first month of operation, its facility in Hazardville, New Jersey, exploded. Hercules had plants up and down the East Coast, however, and the loss of the Hazardville plant was not financially disastrous. Like other manufacturers of explosives, Hercules preferred many small plants to a few large ones. Due to the company's risks involved in product transportation, these plants were located in proximity to customers, rather than near the source of raw materials.

By 1935, Hercules had five divisions: explosives, naval stores, nitrocellulose, chemical cotton, and paper products. Chemical cotton is made from the short fibers of cotton unsuitable for weaving which are then pressed into sheets and sold to industries as a source of cellulose. The paper products division began in 1931 with the purchase of Paper Makers Chemical Corporation, which provided 70 percent of U.S. demand for the rosin "sizing" used to stiffen paper.

At the time of America's entrance into World War II, Hercules was the country's largest producer of naval stores and the third-largest producer of explosives. Business was good during the war, and company coffers were stuffed with both legitimate and illicit gains. Hercules, Atlas, and Du Pont were convicted of a joint price-fixing scheme, and Du Pont was assessed a $40,000 dollar fine. Hercules' annual reports during this period concentrated on plans for reducing the company's staff once the war ended because the demands of the war had swelled the company's workforce to twice its previous size.

History from Wikipedia and OldCompanyResearch.com (old stock certificate research service).

One of Us
Picture of Col K
posted Hide Post
Well talk about being "Spring-Loaded in the Dumb Position," my bad folks... I confused about three different powders. 2400 was the powder. The only thing I can say is, "HD/HD...everyday is like a treasure hunt!" Thanks for the help

Posts: 350 | Location: GA by way of PA, OH, KY, TX, VA, and NC | Registered: 10 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Col

No need to apologize are feel embarrased. We all make mistakes. I've made one or two myself. Just wait until you get old!

Why not start over with your question. We'll be glad to help.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alliant 2400 is close in use to H-110 more than it is to anything else, though the two are nowhere near interchangeable there is considerable overlap in use.

As there is between these two and 4227 (either IMR or Hodgdon)

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Col K, Hercules 2400 and Alliant 2400 are not the same powder. The Hercules 2400 had a slower burn rate of the two. There is plenty of data available for Alliant 2400 and therefore no need to make dangerous substitutions.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote