Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

small circle when seating
 Login/Join

posted
I have just set up my 550 to reload .223 - I have the Redding Competition seating die & have a question. When seating to the correct OAL etc the bullet has a very slight ring / groove around it at about .2500 from the bullet tip. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Smooth the edge of the bullet seating punch...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
submoa,

What are you using to size the brass or more specifically how small a hole are you trying to push the bullet into? If the brass is sized to where the neck is smaller than about .222" (inside) then the extra force needed to expand the brass may be the cause of the ring when seating the bullets.

[ 07-12-2003, 00:57: Message edited by: Byron ]

Posts: 78 | Location: CA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Byron,

The Brass I am using is a new box of Lapua - the inside neck is right on .222 after running thru the Redding sizing die - is this too small & how do I adjust, or do I have to smooth the edges of the seater as ricciardelli suggested (if so, how do I do that)

Thanks in advance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sub MOA,

Sounds like everthing should be working so a touch-up of the seater might be required. Another possibility might be that the jacket material used in your bullets is just real soft and even after a smoothing may still do the same thing. Have you tried any other bullets to see if it does the same thing?

I've loaded Sierra and Berger bullets without any noticeable marks. Just a thought.

Posts: 78 | Location: CA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have this same problem with my .308, redding comp. seater. I called Sinclair's, who I bought from. They said not to worry about it. It has not effected accuracy in my gun. [Cool]

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am loading Sierra 69gr HPBT Match - how do I smooth the seater?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take it out of the die.
You will see that the end that contacts the bullet is cup shaped.
Put some JB (or other fine abrasive) compound on a bullet and twist it back and forth inside the cup.
This knocks off any sharp edges, and helps to match the seater to the bullet your using.
Clean the cup out and re-assemble.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote