New
Find
Notify
Tools

New dies question.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have replaced my RCBS dies with Forster Benchrest dies..yeehaw..they are nice, especially the seating die....
My RCBS FL dies have these wicked scratches on the inside, that scratch the case when resizing.
How do I prevent this same deal from happening to my more $$$ Forster dies???
I constantly clean everything, but I would be sick if I were to have the same problem again.
I used to tumble my brass before I resized, and have stopped doing that for fear the media will inbed inside the die like my RCBS.
WHAT TO DO??????....thanks in advance.
Cant tell you folks how much I have appreciated your advise over the last few months.
I think I'm going to cry now.....sakofan... [Frown]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sakofan:
I have replaced my RCBS dies with Forster Benchrest dies..yeehaw..they are nice, especially the seating die....
My RCBS FL dies have these wicked scratches on the inside, that scratch the case when resizing.
How do I prevent this same deal from happening to my more $$$ Forster dies???
I constantly clean everything, but I would be sick if I were to have the same problem again.
I used to tumble my brass before I resized, and have stopped doing that for fear the media will inbed inside the die like my RCBS.
WHAT TO DO??????....thanks in advance.
Cant tell you folks how much I have appreciated your advise over the last few months.
I think I'm going to cry now.....sakofan... [Frown]

Just wipe the cases off after tumbling and keep your lube pad closed when not in use and keep it clean...also fingers if you finger lube with a non pad lube.....make sure the trimmings from the case trimming aren't getting pulled out of the case by the expander and left inside the die....by the way...RCBS will repolish the dies if you check with them and remove the derbis causing the scratch...or you can use bore cleaner and then a simachrome/fitz type polish after 400/600 grit paper on a split soft mandrel and drill to polish the inside of the die...works well and is reccomended by RCBS and other die companies if you get scratched cases.....I forgot and left the imperial die lube jar open when I used a Dremel cutting disk and then started getting scratched cases and the lube was the last thing I checked and then the scratchs left when the top layer of lube was discarded.......HTH.good luck and good shooting and loading!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Media isn't going to scratch your dies. I'd much rather tumble my brass clean before reloading.
Those forester dies are sweet!! Enjoy them!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote