New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 220 Swift recomendations needed please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
my identical rifle likes the federal premium loads with the 52gr HPBT pills. It also liked the remington premier 50gr BT's. If that rifle won't shoot any better then that,..I'd look at the scope or mounts etc. Have you checked to be sure the stock is tight?? I don't think ANY of the ammo I tried shot that bad,..all were less than 1" closer to 3/4" and better. SMK's and NBT's were 1/2" and less.

Try RL15 next,..I have been told that is a go-to powder for that caliber. I have just loaded a ladder with it and will be testing here in the next few weeks with 50gr v-max pills. Go to around .020" off the lands to get good neck tension and see if that doesn't pull them in some. HTH

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
43 grains of IMR4831 or 37 grains of RL-15 pushing a 55 grain Ballistic Tip.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Mikehjd:

some swifts are a little finicky. No problem, thats why we are handloaders and experimenters.

In my family we have 3, 220 Swifts, 2, 700 VSSF's, and a Ruger 77, mine. I will address the Ruger first as that is the rifle I have the most experience with.

I am on the second Ruger factory barrel now, the second being the most accurate. 4064 and RL15 have been the go to powders for me, with RL15 being the one I have chosen. 38 grains with a 55 grain Nosler Ballistic tip produce 3 shot one hole groups everytime I shoot it on paper, and vels over 3800fps, it's the most accurate rifle I own. But, I played around quite a bit until I found the right bullet powder combination. Ball powder, any ball powder did not produce satisfactory results in any of our swifts. My two sons like the Nosler 50 Grain Ballistic tip, one shoots 4064, the other RL15. My Ruger outshoots both of their Remingtons, but not by much. All the bullets are seated as close to .010 off the lands as possible. I don't think I would worry about bedding, YET!

Shoot 3 shot groups with a given powder, and work up a half grain at a time until your groups start to come together, then tweak the powder in 10th's and play with the bedding if necessary.
It will shoot, no worries.

Good Luck

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote