New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 vs 30-40 pressure questons
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a contender chambered in 30/30 ack imp an I was looking at load data over the weekend for both the 30-30 and the 30-40 Krag and noticed that the 30-30 is loaded 2000 cup lower (38,000 to 40,000). I also noticed that that for one particular powder and source (IMR4064) the max charge was 33.3 for the 30-30 and 44.0 for the Krag. I was hoping to get an answer as to why. I am assuming of course that 10 plus grains would account for 2000 CUP of pressure and more. I am asking because I do have a bit of extra room in the Ackley version of the 30-30 that I have. I know I can’t cram 10 more grains and make it a krag or for that matter any version of a hot rod 30 cal. But like most reloaders I am trying to make ammo that is in some way better than what is available over the counter, whether it is a gain in accuracy, velocity or both.

Thanks Love22Hunt

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
First the 30-40 has a case capacity that is 26.8% larger. Second as you stated the pressure max is higher for the 30-40. My data calls it 47125 vs 42,000psi. The 30-30 was designed for a lever action the 30-40 a bolt. Could you load the 30-30 to a slighty higher pressure, sure a 7-30 waters is loaded to 45,000. Major issue I see is thin 30-30 brass being loaded much more than 45,000 and the Contender is not an Encore.

With my face next to it I wouldn't load beyond 45,000.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul,

I appreciate and value your $.02 worth. With reloading its about trying a load and recording the data, every gun/rifle will let you know what recipe it likes.

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
The 42 kpsi rings a bell with me. I'm thinking 42-44 kpsi is tops.

Mike Bellm has an excellent write up on pressures in the Contender this is a must read for any serious Contender reloader. Try googling it up.

IRRC, the limiting factor on the frame/action is the total force trying to open the frame up. You exceed this force and you "stretch" the frame.

So, a larger case head diameter should have a lower max pressure than a smaller one. The .30-30 should have a higher max pressure than the .30-40 in the Contender.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
I googled 'em up from home, cuz they won't let me do it at work (go figure)

http://www.bellmtcs.com/FAQ/3030option.htm

This one talks about max pressure in the Contender:

http://www.bellmtcs.com/FAQ/max_pressures.htm

All his articles:

http://www.bellmtcs.com/TOC.htm

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Mike is a personal friend of mine...he's a great guy and knows his stuff...I am sure if you drop him an email, which is highlighted on his web site he will usually answer it.. he is that personable...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote