New
Find
Notify
Tools

DC Indoor Lights for Chrono
 Login/Join

<bigcountry>
posted
At the range I go to, its covered and opened of course where you shoot. `They don't have no 110V there and all I see for sell is lights to mount on the diffuser but require 110V. I know you can run AC lights off DC power but know I can't reach the 110V in DC just off batterys and also know that I would need alot less DC to produce the same wattage. I was told at Chrono that you also have to do alot of playing around with the distance from the difusers and so if I try this and they may not be bright enough. Anyone else rig up lights like this. He said 40W would work the best. Any more or less he said will be a problem. Anybody else rig up anything like this?

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
But a cheap DC to AC power converter, plug it into your cigarette lighter and go to it.

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is pretty easy to hook an inexpensive 12VDC-120AC converter up and power your lights from that. Try frosted aquarium lights.

One word of warning: Don't leave them on too long. I did that, and the heat softened my diffusers and ruined them.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Thanks guys. Did you have to play around with the distance from the diffusers any like the guy at Chrono said I would? He also said I might have to play around with the brightness. Thanks a bunch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
12 Volt trouble light bulbs that screw into 120 volt sockets are available. Get a female extension cord end, 2 feet of insulated wire and 2 battery charger champs, then hook up to your truck battery. If you're a little ways from the truck, use ordinary extension cord to make up the difference. Very handy for repairs in the field.

I've set up trouble lights on a step ladder to light up the Chrony and found I needed 2 lights even with them 3 feet up. One light doesn't light the sensors evenly.

Just be sure you hide those 12 volt bulbs between range sessions. They make expensive flash bulbs if they're screwed into a 120 volt socket.

Bye
Jack

Posts: 176 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote