Find
Notify
Tools

Diagonally stringing of bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted
I was at the range yesterday and was shooting a rifle of mine, and it was stringing them diagonally. It was cold out, and had about a 15-18 mph cross wind. The barrel was clean when I started, and I didn't take as much time as I normally would have if the weather was nice out. Any Idea other than human error?

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Here is a good article on stringing of shots (not diagonal, but maybe helpful).

http://www.6mmbr.com/verticaltips.html

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that sometimes. My smith says it could be "bipod stuff". Are you using one or shooting from a bag?

If your load has not vertically strung in the past check that.

I've also noticed minute changes in seating depth effect that. Your throat may be wearing and OAL needs increasing.

Here's two 300 yard groups with the only difference being OAL by .010":

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Typically this is what Winchester .223 factory ammo does from any of my AR'S !. I haven't a clue as to why but reloads cut single ragged holes . Even if using bulk bullets , although hole dia. diminishes with Quality bullets !. Other factory Ammo hasn't been problematic it also doesn't cut single holes but does group much better depending on who's I use .

I've had some nice groups from Priv partizan PPU Match and Black Hills match.

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RedC:
Thanks for the link. I even printed it out for my records.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes diagnial stringing is caused by poor trigger control. This could be a result of having too much finger on the trigger.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Were you using wind flags?--properly----if not then shame on you.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes diagnial stringing is caused by poor trigger control. This could be a result of having too much finger on the trigger.

That could be, it was cold out and I was wanting to be done with it and get back in the worm truck.

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That could be, it was cold out and I was wanting to be done with it and get back in the worm truck.

Yea, Shooting in cold WY and CO, I know a little bit about that. Sometimes after stringing a group I'll have to mentally remind myself to pull straight back.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
It's what I was after, yes it was cold and I was in a little bit of a hurry. This gun has never done this before and only has about 2-300 rounds through it. No matter what work is done their is always the human factor to figure in their some where. I'll try to get a picture of the target up soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Single Shot, Semi Auto, Bolt Rifle, Muzzle Loader?

Having the make and model might help things.

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mad_jack02:
quote:

I agree with too much trigger on the trigger, also make sure your trigger finger isn't dragging wood.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post

Bolt Rifle

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Was this one group? This group looks very much like a tigger control problem if your right handed. If it is one group I'd wait until theres little wind and try again with the same ammo especially if this is not the norm for the rifle and shooter. Another way to see if it's the rifle is to have a known marksman other than yourself shoot it.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mad_jack02:

Bolt Rifle

Hey Jack,

I think that diagnosing the problem is simple if you just start eliminating factors. You can't just shoot a group like this and look at the target bewildered, and guess like everyone else here on what the problem may be.

Something I've learned from woods about load development is the word "repeatability".

When you are developing a load and find a combination of components and OAL that groups, it has to group every time you shoot groups for it to be "THE LOAD" for your rifle.

The inverse of that also applies.

It's kinda like when your car won't start; check the simplest things first like battery terminals for corrosion, etc.. You need to go back to the range and shoot more groups to find out what the problem may be. It may be that it was a technique or trigger control problem that cold day and your groups get back to something satisfactory.

If the rifle/load combo consistently shoots groups shaped that way, you need to look elsewhere for the problem.

I would check:

1. All the screws holding everything together, stock, bases, rings.

2. Bedding and possible pressure on the barrel (make sure it free floats). With the rifle butt on a bench and the muzzle pointing upward, take the heel of the palm of your hand and hit the forend of your stock pretty hard in the direction of the barrel. If you hear any contact of the stock to the barrel, remove the barreled action and relieve some of the material in the barrel channel. Repeat till slapping the forend results in no barrel contact.

3. Scope issues. It's easy to throw a different scope on at the range.

4. Throat erosion and necessity to change COAL.

Good Luck...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stringing of a group can't always be dismissed as improper trigger control nor can it be the wind !

Take your favorite load in whatever caliber , now when reloading a batch adjust the OAL ; Yep just vary the distance off the lands an while your at it vary the powder charge a little .Shoot with absence of wind from a rock solid rest then explain too ME again what causes stringing !. Cartridges or bullets canted ,not squared across the bolt face ,barrel warming any and ALL of these variables along with operator error can have that effect .

If it were a simple matter of heavy trigger finger, WHY don't my handloads or other factory ammo show the same effects ?.

Shooting is a sport of variables including powder primer bullets and cases ,some of which WE collectively have NO CONTROL OVER !.

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote