New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced Bluedot loads 45-70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Seafire, where are you when I need you? Went to the range last week and met a guy shooting an old trapdoor 45-70 using 11.0gr of Unique and 405 gr. bullets and federal 215 primer. Using the old Buffington sight we tore up the blue rocks at 100 yards. If Unique did that well what about your bluedot loads. I want to dust off my old Trapdoor and show up with bluedot loads. Does anybody have any bluedot reduced loads for an 1884 Trapdoor 45-70?

Posts: 251 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One Holer;

I am glad that you posted on line here... I tried to open your PM to me, but there are some problems on my account that Don is trying to help me get ironed out....I can't log into and see some of my PMs...

I do not have a 45/70 to work with, but the case is close to the capacity of the 444 which I do own...

What kind of velocity are you looking for? Are you interested in shooting the 405 grain loads or a 350 grain bullet, etc?

I wish I could get my hands on a 45/70 just to work with for a little... I don't really need anything in that caliber for my needs, but it doesn't mean I would not like to work with the 45/70 case..... just my 444 does all I need in the same vein...

As an alternative tho, and the load data is out there for 45/70 with SR 4759... in the 444 I have found that the SR 4759 load data works as well as the Blue Dot loads do for accuracy, non compressed loads, not being position sensitive etc....

Let me know if I can be of anymore help....

Cheers
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to keep shooting the 405's as they "look" good and it is what Great Grandpappy shot. As old as the Trapdoor is I'm not at all interested in high speed or pressure. This is why the Bluedot is so appealing. All I ask is the load be able to lob out to 100-125 yards and break blue rocks with the original open sights. This old scruffer still has major fun factor in this mode.

Posts: 251 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try between 10 and 15 grains then...

cheers
seafire.
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote