THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Smokeless Powder storage "Magazine/cabinet" question

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smokeless Powder storage "Magazine/cabinet" question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted
Hello All,

I realized I'm near my limit of pounds of powder that can be stored in my residence without building a "powder magazine" a.k.a. wooden storage cabinet. I have read both at the national level and my state's code that up to 50 pounds may be stored in a residence as long as they are stored in a wooden cabinet (magazine) with walls of 1 inch thickness.

How do you all have your powder stored once you cross over the 20-pound mark? If you built a wooden cabinet, I'd love to see a photo, or at least a description of the design. I never thought it would be this easy to accumulate over 20 pounds of powder but now I'm close!

Thanks,

John

One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
The design must be built in a manner that no pressure can be developed and cause the wood to shatter. A blow-out door or lid should be used.
I built my storage in a manner of a book shelf that has walls and a top that will lift off in case of a fire.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 447 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Keep mine in an old refrigerator. Semi fire proof and insulated.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built the wood box. Not that big a project. You need 1" thick walls.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
@Samuel_Hoggson : did you use pine for the walls? Just double up some 1/2" plywood?

Thanks,

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you plan on inviting the fire marshal into your house to inspect your storage methods, you are wasting your time and money. I have never heard of anyone ever getting citing for having more than 20 lbs. of powder without a regulation cabinet. It's not making the powder any safer either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the old refrigerator school myself. Put a chain around it, leaving 3 or 4" of slack and put a lock thru the chain. not only a good storage locker, it's kid proof also.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Galt:
@Samuel_Hoggson : did you use pine for the walls? Just double up some 1/2" plywood?

Thanks,

John

John, Operating on the principle that silly regulations provoke transparent evasions I would build it however I wished within the specs. I used a mix of old plywood fragments, furred with old barn boards so as to allow ventilation. I put a hinge on the cover. Just make sure it's 1" thick all around.

The problem I have with the refrigerator idea is NFPA code calls for wood. CF my first statement.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The key to storage is temp,light, and humidity. That's why some on this site are still using stocks of WW11 4831.

Posts: 46 | Location: ohio, usa | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Samuel_Hoggson:
quote:
Originally posted by John Galt:

Thanks,

John

John, Operating on the principle that silly regulations provoke transparent evasions I would build it however I wished within the specs. I used a mix of old plywood fragments, furred with old barn boards so as to allow ventilation. I put a hinge on the cover. Just make sure it's 1" thick all around.

The problem I have with the refrigerator idea is NFPA code calls for wood. CF my first statement.

Ha- that's a great point! Thanks again for the feedback.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
There is a very good reason that a storage locker needs to be wood instead of metal, vented instead of air tight, and made with a "blowout" wall instead of built like a brick s...house. Better yet, any large quantity of powder should be out of your residence and in a separate building altogether.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duckboat:
Unless you plan on inviting the fire marshal into your house to inspect your storage methods, you are wasting your time and money. I have never heard of anyone ever getting citing for having more than 20 lbs. of powder without a regulation cabinet. It's not making the powder any safer either.
Till the house burns down and the insurance company has an out because you stored it against code. And that's assuming you don't face criminal charges because no firefighters were hurt in the blast.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier is correct. My box is kept in an "out building". The rationale has less to do with factual safety concerns, and everything to do with possible post-disaster application of regulations against an insurance claim.

Loaded ammunition is a non-issue. But primers and powder are best kept per NFPA code - and out of the house, if possible.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
50 lbs?

Seems I'm a very very very bad boy......oh well

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Till the house burns down and the insurance company has a out because you stored it against code.

That would be quite a stretch. If a house fire got to the point of igniting your gunpowder, it would already have caused a massive amount of damage. In addition, a storage cabinet would be very unlikely to prevent the gunpowder from fueling the flame. I would be very interested to hear one real world example of someone's home insurance claim of being denied in such an instance. It can very easy to let one's imagination run wild with examples of what-if this, what-if that, but if there aren't examples of it actually happening, it is all just a waste of time and money, except it might make you feel better. If so, go right ahead if it makes you sleep better at night, but it isn't making one bit of a safety or insurance difference.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The powder will not explode

The primers will however pop with heat.....btdt.....don't anneal a case with a live primer

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
During a fire, nitro based powders in a sealed metal locker would have a high potential for exploding. The tighter the seal, and the stronger the container, the greater the explosion. If the locker is vented and weak then the powder would burn instead of detonating. For the same reason, if you toss a 30-06 cartridge into a fire it will burst apart at a relatively low pressure, harmlessly tossing the case in one direction and the bullet in another. However, put that cartridge into a tightly sealed metal chamber or container and toss it into a fire and it will stand a good chance of exploding.

You don't have to like it or abide by it but the code is what it is for good reason.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Todays powder is sold in polypropylene containers....melt temp of only 250ish degrees

Injectable at 450

one of us
posted Hide Post
My question to the codes have the power of law.

Who's going to enforce it on a home owner who's going to care.

A couple of 5 gallon gas cans with some gas are more dangerous or even some aerosol or one lb propane cylinders.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I am confused, then again that's pretty normal for me though.
Where are you guys citing this far reaching "regulation" from? I've never heard of it. NFPA?

My powder is stored on a shelf in my garage I exceed 50 pounds. In a real fire that engulfs my garage what will be the actual difference if my powder burns up on a shelf or burns up in a wooden storage container designed to not contain it in such a way as to create pressure?
In a fully engulfed structure fire would the powder even be noticed? How would it compare to my 2 or 3 30 pound propane tanks or my 4 or 5 fuel cans (2 to 5 gallons) with diesel, gasoline and mixed saw gas?
What about my 40 cans of aerosol spray paint and spray lubes?
Unless someone can convince me otherwise from a technical or practical standpoint my stance will be to carry on and keep my mouth shut.
The last thing I want to do is alert the local Fire Department that I have anything. They have been empowered to the point of ridiculousness lately that you don't know where they will run with it, I could end up on the evening news as "local man found by Fire Investigators to be illegally hoarding explosives". You've all heard that one on the news and wondered what kind of freak "he" was, well it's YOU! (according to "them").

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is a mute point although it is an interesting thread.

I spoke to my insurance agent about this matter 5 years ago when I purchased a new home; he is a handloader as well. His exact words were "what difference does it make?" He recommended powder be stored in a metal cabinet as opposed to a wooden one. If you have a small house fire the metal cabinet would prevent the powder from igniting. A wooden cabinet would almost guarantee it would ignite causing a lot more damage in the long run. Gasoline containers, propane and spray cans pose a greater threat than smokeless powder. But hey, to each his own.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I am confused, then again that's pretty normal for me though.
Where are you guys citing this far reaching "regulation" from? I've never heard of it. NFPA?

quote:
RECOMMENDATIONS ON STORAGE AND HANDLING ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL FIRE PROTECTION ASSOCIATION, BATTERY MARCH PARK, QUINCY, MASS. 02269

CODE FOR THE MANUFACTURE, TRANSPORTATION STORAGE, AND USE OF EXPLOSIVE MATERIALS NFPA NO. 495-1992.

CHAPTER 10. SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION AND PRIMERS, SMOKELESS PROPELLANTS AND BLACK POWDER PROPELLANTS

10-3. SMOKELESS PROPELLANTS

10-3.1 Quantities of smokeless propellants not exceeding 25 lb (11.3 kg) in shipping containers approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation may be transported in a private vehicle.

10-3.2 Quantities of smokeless propellants exceeding of 25 lb (11.3 kg) but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), transported in a private vehicle, shall be transported in a portable magazine having wood walls of at least 1-inch (25.4 mm) nominal thickness.

10-3.3 transportation of more than 50 lb (22.7 kg) of smokeless propellants in a private vehicle is prohibited.

10-3.4 Commercial shipments of smokeless propellants in quantities not exceeding 100 lb (45.4 kg) are classified for transportation purposes as flammable solids when packaged according to U.S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations (Title 49 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 173.197a), and shall be transported accordingly.

10-3.5 Commercial shipments of smokeless propellants exceeding 100 lb (45.4 kg) or not packaged in accordance with the regulations cited in 10-3.4 shall be transported according to U.S. Department of Transportation regulations for Class B propellant explosives.

10-3.6 Smokeless propellants shall be stored in shipping containers specified by the U.S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations.

10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least 1-inch (25.4 mm) nominal thickness.

10-3.8 Not more than 20 lb (9.1 kg) of smokeless propellants, in containers of 1 lb (0.45 kg) maximum capacity, shall be displayed in commercial establishments.

10-3.9 Commercial stocks of smokeless propellants shall be stored as follows:

_ a. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 100 lb (45.4 kg), shall be stored in portable wooden boxes having walls of at least 1-in. (25.4 mm) thickness.

_ b. Quantities exceeding 100 lb (45.4 kg), but not exceeding 800 lb (363 kg), shall be stored in nonportable storage cabinets having walls of at least 1-in. (25.4 mm) thickness. Not more than 400 lb (181 kg) may be stored in any one cabinet, and cabinets shall be separated by a distance of at least 25 ft (7.63 m) or by a fire partition having a fire resistance of at least 1 hour.

_ c. Quantities exceeding 800 lb (363 kg), but not exceeding 5,000 lb (2268 kg), may be stored in a building if the following requirements are met:

_____ 1.The warehouse or storage room shall not be accessible to unauthorized personnel.

_____ 2. Smokeless propellant shall be stored in nonportable storage cabinets having wood walls at least 1-in. (25.4 mm) thick and having shelves with not more than a 3 ft separation between shelves.

_____ 3. No more than 400 lb (181 kg) shall be stored in any one cabinet.

_____ 4. Cabinets shall be located against walls of the storage room or warehouse with at least 40 ft (12.2 m) between cabinets.

_____ 5. Separation between cabinets may be reduced to 20 ft (6.1 m) if barricades twice the height of the cabinets are attached to the wall, midway between each cabinet. The barricades shall extend at least 10 ft (3 m) outward, shall be firmly attached to the wall, and shall be constructed of 1/4-in. (6.4 mm) boiler plate, 2-in. (51 mm) thick wood, brick, or concrete block.

_____ 6. Smokeless propellant shall be separated from materials classified by the U.S. Department of Transportation as flammable liquids, flammable solids, and oxidizing materials by a distance of 25 ft (7.63 m) or by a fire partition having a fire-resistance of at least 1 hour.

_____ 7. The building shall be protected by an automatic sprinkler system installed according to NFPA No. 13, Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems.

_ d. Smokeless propellants not stored according to (a), (b), and (c) above shall be stored in a type 4 magazine constructed and located according to Chapter 6.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
When smokeless powder burns, a great deal of gas at high temperature is formed. If the powder is confined, this gas will create pressure in the surrounding structure. The rate of gas generation is such, however, that the pressure can be kept at a low level if sufficient space is available or if the gas can escape.

In this respect smokeless powder differs from blasting agents or high explosives such as dynamite or blasting gelatin, although smokeless powder may contain chemical ingredients common to some of these products.

High explosives such as dynamite are made to detonate, that is, to change from solid state to gaseous state with evolution of intense heat at such a rapid rate that shock waves are propagated through any medium in contact with them. Such shock waves exert pressure on anything they contact, and, as a matter of practical consideration, it is almost impossible to satisfactorily vent away the effects of a detonation involving any appreciable quantity of dynamite.

Smokeless powder differs considerably in its burning characteristics from common “black powder.” Black powder burns essentially at the same rate out in the open (unconfined) as when in a gun.

When ignited in an unconfined state, smokeless powder burns inefficiently with an orange colored flame. It produces a considerable amount of light brown noxious smelling smoke. It leaves a residue of ash and partially burned powder. THE FLAME IS HOT ENOUGH TO CAUSE SEVERE BURNS.

The opposite is true when it burns under pressure as in a cartridge fired in a gun. Then it produces very little smoke, a small glow, and leaves very little or no residue. The burning rate of smokeless powder increases with increased pressure.

If burning smokeless powder is confined, gas pressure will rise and eventually can cause the container to burst. Under such circumstances, the bursting of a strong container creates effects similar to an explosion.

For this reason, the Department of Transportation (formerly Interstate Commerce Commission) sets specifications for shipping containers for propellants and requires tests of loaded containers–under actual fire conditions–before approving them for use.

When smokeless powder in D.O.T approved containers is ignited during such tests, container seams split open or lids pop off to release gases and powder from confinement at low pressure.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Smokeless powder is intended to function by burning, so it must be protected against accidental exposure to flame, sparks or high temperatures.

For these reasons, it is desirable that storage enclosures be made of insulating materials to protect the powder from external heat sources.

Once smokeless powder begins to burn, it will normally continue to burn (and generate gas pressure) until it is consumed.

D.O.T approved containers are constructed to open up at low internal pressures to avoid the effects normally produced by the rupture or bursting of a strong container.

Storage enclosures for smokeless powder should be constructed in a similar manner:

• Of fire resistant and heat-insulating materials to protect contents from external heat.

• Sufficiently large to satisfactorily vent the gaseous products of combustion which would result if the quantity of smokeless powder within the enclosure accidentally ignited.

If a small, tightly enclosed storage enclosure is loaded to capacity with containers of smokeless powder the walls of the enclosure will expand or move outwards to release the gas pressure–if the powder in storage is accidentally ignited.

Under such conditions, the effects of the release of gas pressure are similar or identical to the effects produced by an explosion.

Hence only the smallest practical quantities of smokeless powder should be kept in storage, and then in strict compliance with all applicable regulations and recommendations of the National Fire Protection Association.

One of Us
    Picture of Grenadier
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Western Powders Inc. --- Recommendations for Storage of Smokeless Powder

• STORE IN A COOL, DRY PLACE.
    Be sure the storage area is free from any possible sources of excess heat and is isolated from open flame, furnaces, hot water heaters, etc. Do not store smokeless powder where it will be exposed to the sun’s rays. Avoid storage in areas where mechanical or electrical equipment is in operation. Restrict from the storage areas heat or sparks which may result from improper, defective or overloaded electrical circuits.

• DO NOT STORE SMOKELESS POWDER IN THE SAME AREA WITH SOLVENTS, FLAMMABLE GASES OR HIGHLY COMBUSTIBLE MATERIALS.

• STORE ONLY IN DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION APPROVED CONTAINERS.
    Do not transfer the powder from an approved container into one which is not approved.

• DO NOT SMOKE IN AREAS WHERE POWDER IS STORED OR USED.
    Place appropriate “No Smoking” signs in these areas.

• DO NOT SUBJECT THE STORAGE CABINETS TO CLOSE CONFINEMENT.

• STORAGE CABINETS SHOULD BE CONSTRUCTED OF INSULATING MATERIALS AND WITH A WEAK WALL, SEAMS OR JOINTS TO PROVIDE AN EASY MEANS OF SELF-VENTING.

• DO NOT KEEP OLD OR SALVAGED POWDERS.
    Check old powders for deterioration regularly. Destroy deteriorated powders immediately.

• OBEY ALL REGULATIONS REGARDING QUANTITY AND METHODS OF STORING.
    Do not store all your powders in one place. If you can, maintain separate storage locations. Many small containers are safer than one or more large containers.

• KEEP YOUR STORAGE AND USE AREA CLEAN.
    Clean up spilled powder promptly. Make sure the surrounding area is free of trash or other readily combustible materials.

One of Us
    Picture of ted thorn
    posted Hide Post
    Still ain't worried

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ted thorn:
    Still ain't worried

I am not worried also.

Use some common sense and one well be just fine.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of graybird
    posted Hide Post
    I think the key word in some of Grenadier's posts is "Recommendations". Therefore, I'll view them as such, not an absolute.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    NFPA makes recommendations.

State and local governments adopt the guidelines as ordinances.

Might at least read through your homeowners policy for exclusions, and also check your town office with respect to state/local fire ordinances.

Or not.

One of Us
    Picture of ted thorn
    posted Hide Post
    My home was broken into last fall.

3 guns were stolen and the person who broke in was caught.

He was a prior felon and the ATF took over the case from our county sheriff's office.

The ATF was in my gun room and my reloading room 2 times during the investigation.

Not ONE word was said about my hoard of powders, primers or ammo

Nor how they were stored

In the event of fire in the extent you are left without a home your powder storage will be the least of your worries

one of us
    Picture of graybird
    posted Hide Post
    I store my powder on various shelves or even on my garage floor. I guess I don't understand what a wooden box around them would change.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    As has been mentioned, the NFPA "suggestions" or "guidelines" are exactly that, unless and until codified by statute or regulation by some jurisdiction with the authority to do so. Most municipalities adopt fire codes similar or identical to those of NFPA, but they may or may not go to the length of including smokeless powders. They also may or may not apply to private residences. To determine if you are impacted by one or another fire code you would have to research your local ordinances (not ordnancesBig Grin ).

The reason for a wood storage cabinet:
    1. Wood helps prevent potential ignition from static electricity (pretty far-fetched, I'll admit.)
    2. Wood provides some insulation from heat which metal does not (this is of course negated if a fire is strong enough to ignite the wood itself.)
    3. Wooden containers naturally are much less confining than metal so that ignited powder is less apt to cause an explosion than when contained in a tight metal container.

By the way, my understanding is that when NFPA specifies "1 inch wood" that they mean wood commonly designated as having a 1-inch dimension, which is actually 3/4" finished thickness like your common pine 1x4 board. If using plywood, then the common 3/4" plywood (which has now been whittled down to 23/32nds) should suffice.

Having had over six decades to occasion experiences with combustibles, I, too, am somewhat more concerned with the fire hazard presented by the two-gallon can of gasoline for the lawn mower than I am a cache of smokeless powder.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    I had a buddy good with wood build me a powder cabinet. 3/4 inch plywood lined with sheetrock two sheets thick. Top also lined with same, and hinged to not offer any resistance. It measures 2 feet by 3 feet by two feet in height. It is quite heavy and has coasters and rolls easily on my concrete floored basement. Holds lots of powder, primers and bullets. Probably going to need a smaller one for bullets alone. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of John Galt
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by phurley5:
    I had a buddy good with wood build me a powder cabinet. 3/4 inch plywood lined with sheetrock two sheets thick. Top also lined with same, and hinged to not offer any resistance. It measures 2 feet by 3 feet by two feet in height. It is quite heavy and has coasters and rolls easily on my concrete floored basement. Holds lots of powder, primers and bullets. Probably going to need a smaller one for bullets alone. Good shooting.

Sounds like a great set-up. What are the heights of the shelves inside? I'm trying to figure out how to maximize my space and realize there are only 4 or 5 different sized containers used by any manufacturer.

Thanks,

John

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    No shelves just stacks of powder containers, bullets, primers etc. It is now so full it is kinda confusing, I need to get the bullets out into their own box. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote