Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Howell
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have sources for 416 Howell brass and reloading dies? If so, where and how Much?

Thanks
Dennis

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's trimmed Jeffery brass, I believe; none headstamped that I've seen.
Dies are available from C4HD.
John Ricks has a reamer if you're looking for someone to do it.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
So basically all I need to do for the brass is cut a 404 down to 2.5 inches and then run it through a full length resizer die? Also, thanks for the info on the dies.

Dennis

one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
I belive all Howell brass is available from AHR in Hamilton Montana with correct stamps. They have a web page.

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 416 Howell. I haven't been able to shoot it much, but WOW is it fun. I bought a headstamper and gave it to John Ricks. He may be able to head stamp some for you. I got my dies from CH4D. I paid around $100 or less. I plan on getting some Redding custom dies.

Posts: 66 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It should be no problem going from .422" to .416" in one pass.
If I were to make a big bore Mauser, it would almost certainly be that very chambering. It will meet the Remington, I'm sure.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. Now does anyone have loads for the .416 Howell. I have tried every reloading manual I can think of and can't find anything. I was planning to start loading them around .416 Taylor charge weights and bullets and go up from there because of the lack of any other reloading data. If anyone has a source or loads they have developed, please share.

Thanks
Dennis

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I have two articles on the round from Handloader, back in the late 70's early 80's. The data was limited, and Ken Howell never ended up getting his own 416 build, do to a gunsmith that screwed him out of his action and barrel. John Ricks does have Ken's original reamer.

I would start with 416 Rem data, as the Howell has about the same case capacity, a touch more I believe. Should be relatively simple to find a charge of RL 15 to push a 400 gr bullet 2400 fps.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some loads...

The only loads I have used (and I haven't had a chance to chrono them) are 70.3 grains of IMR 4320 with 400 grain Hornady RN and 70.3 grains of IMR 4320 with 325 grain North Forks. I got the Hornady bullet load from John Ricks, the NF load I tried on my own.... No problems for me but your on your own if you try them too.

I have been planning to chrono these loads for several years now (pesky Iraqi keep me in their country too often, or trying to learn about them). I really enjoy shooting this rifle. For a big bore it is pretty gentle.

Posts: 66 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote