Find
Notify
Tools

Fireforming without bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
I read an article once before about fireforming brass to form the shoulder without the use of a bullet. The case was loaded with a charge of bullseye and stuffed in the neck with something and "popped" off. This had never appealed to me until I got into big bores where the bullets to do the job cost twice as much. Any experience, Info?

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fire formed a lot of 338-06 IMP with 700 X and a cotton ball to hold the powder back in the case.

Worked just fine, and it was amazing how hot that barrel got after 6 or 7 shots. Had to wait for it to cool off, as I was afraid I'd warp it.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I fire form quite a bit. I use Unique in an appropriate amount, usually about 20-25g in cases with near 80g water capacity. I use any old primer, the required fast pistol powder, and fill the rest of the case with cornmeal. Then I stuff a good wad of toilet paper to hold everything in there, and fire away. Works good. You might have to experiment a bit with the right propellant weight to use, depending on the case and the amount of forming necessary.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<PTShooter03>
posted
This is the formula that I have used: Weigh a primed case filled level with water. Subtract the weight of the primed case alone to get the water weight. Take 25% of this water weight and it will be your starting charge for 700X shotgun powder (you will typically have to add to this amount, but start at the 25% figure).

Using an expander mandrel die, open the case neck to the next caliber (i.e....6mm to 6.5mm or from 7mm to .30cal). Next, run the case into your die and slowly size the neck down to proper size in minute increments, testing the case in the chamber each time you size the neck further. You want to adjust your die to the point where your bolt will close on the neck firmly, but easily. In effect what you are doing is creating a false shoulder for the case to headspace on! This way, the case is fairly snug against the bolt-face when you drop the firing pin.

Take your sized, primed cases with the powder in them and fill the rest of the case, level to the top with Cream of Wheat without distrurbing the powder in the bottom of the case. Then, take a dowel that fits the neck tightly and pack the Cream of Wheat to the bottom of the neck.

Seal the case with butter flavored Crisco or warm parafin.

Now, test-fire a few cases to ensure that the shoulder fills out fully and sharply. If not, add powder in .3-.4gr increments until it does.

Tip: Be sure to have your lugs well lubed as well as the angular cocking piece surface on the rear of the bolt body to eliminate binding.

Once formed, be sure to clean the cases thoroughly to eliminate all trace of the C-o-W from the interior of the case.

[ 10-24-2002, 02:28: Message edited by: PTShooter03 ]

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Corn meal works well, but we found Cream of Wheat seemed to do better. Purely a matter of the forming materials density I would imagine!

Point muzzle up and watch the wind direction (Of course we can do it in the yard so you may have to adjust technique somewhat if you have to use a range facility).

Sure a lot cheaper than a big load of powder and bullet.

I just did a bunch of 6.5 and 7 mm TCUs and got some shooting practice in at the same time as fireforming.

LouisB
Just a bunch of wild suppositions of course.

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah haf to seah that down heah we use grits. It does a much better job than those dreadful Yankee concoctions, cream of wheat and oatmeal.

I have also used lead shot over a wad of compressed toilette paper. Although a little more expensive, the shot does a very nice job. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope you don't use "instant grits".

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I hate grits. I go out of my way to hate grits. (Did I mention I hate grits?) However... the United States Army LOVES grits! Every !@@#$@# morning at chow during basic training and AIT... eggs, potatoes, SOS, and... "grits." However, as a trainee, being nothing more than an unorganized, grabastic piece of amphibian shit... I didn't exactly ask for something else instead of grits.

Have I mentioned how I feel about grits???

In the vein of "Tastes Great! - Less Filling!"...

"Grits Suck! - No Grits!"

On the other hand... being a GODDAMNED Yankee... I happen to LOVE oatmeal!

Russ [Cool]

[ 10-25-2002, 06:22: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
Russell, I love grits. Imagine the suprize I had on a cruise to Alaska (Norwegian Cruise Line) and found that "grits" was on the breakfast menu.

Love them grits.

But there is another meaning for grits

Girls
Raised
In
The
South

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ken Howell describes this method in his book about cartridges--I forget the name. I used it to form 9.3x62 Mauser cases from 30-06 cases. I ended up using 13 grs. of B'eye and small over-powder wad of toilet paper. Then I filled the case with Malt-O-Meal, and added a wad to keep everything in place. I lubed the cases with sizing lube and the shoulders came out just right. The barrel got very hot very fast. I fired the first few shots into a plastic pickle bucket filled with towels in my basement. They blew the bottom out of it and tore up the towels. I can post the instructions on how to work up to the proper load if you need them. Hope this helps, Okie John.

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
21 grains of IMR 700x with cream of wheat up to the neck and a piece of paper towel packed down on top formed the perfect shoulder on my 416 Taylor brass. Thanks guys! Also the only time I can shoot the gun with one hand. [Big Grin]

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
GRITS RULE! Those fine Army chefs [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] just don't know how to prepare one of the finest Southern cuisine there is.

[ 10-25-2002, 20:36: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use my old walnut cleaning media.. One thing I have found during any forming is the movement of the case like another forum member mentioned. If you have a little more headspace than you like, you will get an occasional separation.

Later...

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a question. When I get my 6.5 PPC back from the shop can I neck my 220 Russian brass up to .243 by using a 243 expander, then a .264 expander, and then use this method to fire form two or three cases to send to the die maker to have dies made? I'm a newbie at this and sure don't won't to make any mistakes. I know I may have to neck turn. Thanks.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote