New
Find
Notify
Tools

350 Rem Mag load data
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've just bought my first short action and my first 35 caliber, the 350rem mag. I've ordered some 250gr Hornaday interlocks and hope to start shooting next weekend. I was thinking of starting with reloader 15 and hope to get 2350fps out of it. Any advice or data you'd like to share.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two things to consider - Watch you overall length with 250 grain projectiles in the short action. I do not have any load data for the powder you are using but most data getting the velocity you are after is close to a max load, also most are compressed loads.

Posts: 87 | Location: St. Rose, LA USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know your intended use but I found that the 225gt Nosler Partition gave me the best combination of velocity (and energy) and accuracy in my Rem 700 Classic. The powder I used was 2015BR. The 250gr bullet, in the .350 RemMag, is just too long for effective use if you want to feed thru the magazine.

As to effectiveness, I took several large antelope in Africa using the 225gr Nosler...waterbuck and kudu + warthog and impala. The only bullet recovered entered the waterbuck on the point of the right-shoulder, destroyed the top of the heart and came to rest after breaking the left-rear hip...retained weight was about 65% which is typical of all the Partitions I've ever used.

[ 08-05-2002, 09:34: Message edited by: DB Bill ]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my 350. I'd agree witht the post regarding 225 bullets. I think the Partitons are slightly faster since they're flat based. I can get over 2700 fps with mine. I use or used H4895, W748, and Varget. Varget is the best and fastest in my rifle. I don't use magnum primers either.

DB-

I've been looking for two guys who used the .350 in Africa that post on this board. Any other good game stories while using the .350 ??? I'd like to try mine on the biggest stuff possible, but I'm going to have to settle on a hog possibility in Jan '03.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark. In my 350, with 250 gr hornadies I use 60 gr of IMR 4320. Start real low with this, I can load mine out to a much longer col then most. I get 2660 fps with no problems. Just drop back 10% and start working up. This is a really under rated cartridge, good for anything that walks on this continent. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Fireplug>
posted
mark65x55,

Other .350RM shooters could provide you with more meaningful information if you provide barrel length and which short action. My M600 with an 18" barrel will never get the velocities of nor be safe with some great loads in other rifles. The Remington short actions do limit COL, but the Winchester short is as long as the round can use. IMHO the really special thing about the .350RM is how well it gets the job done in little carbines like those in which it was introduced.

I shoot mostly the two Speer 250s over 51 grains of 3031 for 2300fps about tops for a M600.

Fireplug

one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
In my Rem 600, 350 RM I use 56.0 of IMR 4320 with Speer 250 SPT.

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alaska Bush Man,

I too have found IMR 4320 under a 250 Speer delivers excellent accuracy in the M600 Carbine. I have had some groups go under 1 inch.

I do however have a question about your charge. I think the maximum for 4320 is 54 gr(compressed) that is what I shoot. That is according to my #13 Speer manual.

I will give you credit however because my cases don't show any pressure signs with the 54 gr charge so it might be OK do go 2grs' over the max with 4320.

Posts: 37 | Location: canada | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote