New
Find
Notify
Tools

Triple Shock?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone had any experiences using the new Barnes Triple Shock bullets? Are higher velocities easier to obtain as stated by Barnes? Thanks for any input.

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am willing to try them too- 140 and 160 in .284 caliber-.

I think I�fall in temptation and order some boxes-

<Doc in Texas>
posted
I have used them in both a 300 Win Mag and 300 WSM with both gaving great groups and yes I ahve increseted speed.I did some testing with then and they openned everytime,I have more 1 shot kills with then. I think they will be my only bullet for hunting now.I have used both the 168 and the 180gr in the 0.308. my next ones to try are the 95 gr.in my 243 I will let yall know how they worked.
\

Doc

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am loading for the 300Win mag (Sako) and the 300WSM (Browning) both belong to friends. The WSM shoots great, the Sako ok. Experiment with seating depth, as they appear to be very sensitive to this. The TS are easier to get to shoot good than the XL-C. In my 270win, the 130gr XL-CBT shoots great, actually better than any other bullet I have ever tried in it, and I have owned and reloaded for this gun for over 30 years. These are some strange, but awesome on game, bullets.

Posts: 37 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornet, what powder and how much, are you using on the .300WM??

I also have a Sako in .300WM..sakofan..Thanks!!

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Steve in MI>
posted
I just bought some for my 270WSM. If you go to short mags there is a large amount of info on the bullet. Ans from what they reported yes the FPS went up alot in some case's 150+. Sevral there even where checking the Chrono trying others to make sure it was not a fluke.

Reported data of 3300+ with 140 gr.

I am in the process yet so I can not say yea or nay. But I hop to see some great groups myself if it is over 3000 great. I doubt that the deer can tell from 3000 or 3300 .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Watch pressure signs carefully both 300 win & a 270win were showing pressure at the low end of the loading manual

Posts: 182 | Location: Okotoks, Alberta | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't get the regular BarnesX to shoot less than an inch out of my 6.5-284. This is bad considering Sierra MKs printed .37. I will have to try the Triples and see if what they say is true.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to stop working on load development due to hunting season, but I have not been able to get increased velocities with either XLCs (165 gr.) or Triple Shocks (168 gr.) in my .308. It could be a rifle issue, though, because ammo consistently chronographs slower in my rifle than in my wife's rifle. Both kinds were very accurate, though.

Posts: 62 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 16 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sakofan,
77gr of RL19 with the 168 TS, COL 3.405, proved a winning combo, 5 shots into 1.25". We tried COL of 3.400 and 3.415 and the groups opened up to over 2". 78gr of H4831 was almost as good.
Fred

Posts: 37 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm loading 180gn Triple Shocks in my 300 RUM. I'm not getting significant velocity increases but they are the most accurate bullets that I have found for this rifle. They also copper-foul the barrel less, as advertised. I suppose with further experimentation I may find velocity increases but I've had to limit my experimentation due to the summer heat!

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k22hornet:
Sakofan,
77gr of RL19 with the 168 TS, COL 3.405, proved a winning combo, 5 shots into 1.25". We tried COL of 3.400 and 3.415 and the groups opened up to over 2". 78gr of H4831 was almost as good.
Fred

Thanks..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote