New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 carcano
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
the question i have is . is there and other case i could use for the 6.5 carcano for reloading . if so what would i have to do to make it work ? trim ? resize? ect .any help would be appreciated . thanks Bob

Posts: 116 | Location: N.J. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
You can get cases from Grafs for less than your cost in time and trouble. $27.99 a hundred.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
cases can be formed from 6.5mm mannlicher-schoenauer cases. I dont know if these cases are available or what needs to be done to the cases. Best buy new cases. The 6.5 carcano i had was not worth the trouble to load and shoot.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
The answer is yes! 45 years ago we had a number of options and I tried all I think. You can re-machine the rear ends of .303 Brits or 30-40s trim and resize not necessisarily in that order. You can take Carcano military brass remachine the primer pocket and oblongate the flash hole. I bought a lot of Norma 6.5x54 brass and resized and trimmed. Than Norma came out with Carcano Brass and I didn't do any of that any more.At that time we used .264 diameter bullets for hunting and I could hit a 9" pie plate every time at 100 yds.If u want more info e-mail me. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies so far . i just hope this gun can hit a 9" plate at 100yrds we have not shot it yet. still looking for some ammo at a more resonable price than 1.00 a round . this thing is the wifes gun. i had nothing to do with this purchase . i just get the headache of finding ammo and reloading it if it turns out to be an ok shooter .

Posts: 116 | Location: N.J. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes,you can make 6.5x52 brass from other cases,however like the others stated it is not worth your trouble ,when the proper case is availible at a reasonable price.

7.35 Carcano and 6.5 M-S only requires forming and trimming

The .220 Swift although a bit small in dia.can be used by necking up,sizing ,trimming to length,turning off rim and cutting extractor groove.The .303 British requires even more work.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My father-in-law and I both owned 6.5 Carcanos in the early 60s.I was fortunate enough to aquire a batch of ammo that was loaded by Winchester-Western.It was loaded with .264 dia. bullets but it was very accurate in my rifle.I could shoot 1 1/2-2 in.groups at 100 yds.My father-in laws rifle was a different story,with it you were lucky to shoot a 10-12 in. group at 100 yds.,even with the Italian ammo with the larger bullet.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
There is one small problem to watch for and take care of in advance to reloading.The neck in the sizing dies is generally of a slightly larger diameter as is the neck expander. The .264dia. bullets might FALL into your cases. After you size your cases you may want to neck size with a .260 FL sizing die. .268dia. bullets are availlable but they are expensive and the selection isn't great.I'm probably as clear as mud. Marie Chaladers will supply 9" pie plates, but they suggest you eat the pie before shoting roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
By all means, buy new 6.5 Carcano brass from GRAF'S!! You can make it from other cases, but the easiest ones to make it from, like 6.5X54 MS, are even scarcer than the Carcano cases! The rest, like .303's or .30/40's, well, it's just too much of a pain!!