Find
Notify
Tools

Is this a find?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted
I just bought a case of "American Eagle" 62gn .223 from Midway and the brass is Lake City 05 with a NATO Stamp... This really blurs the line between NATO and SAAMI. Comments?

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just goes to show ya that the ammo companys will use whatever parts and peices that they can get the cheapest or the fastest

One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I read that Federal is just repacking the LC loaded ammo .
It is a over run .

I have some of it , it shoots great for Mill spec ammo.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dat be de' real ting boss. The steel penetrator tip works great on feral cats. Big Grin

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Collins
A side note . . .

Great picture, what "rig" did you use to take it?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Nothing really spectacular! Take a look at what ATK owns:

Selected to operate Lake City Army Ammunition Plant, the U.S. Government's only small-caliber ammunition manufacturing facility.

Acquired the commercial ammunition businesses of Blount International, which made ATK the nation's largest manufacturer of ammunition.

Acquired the ordnance business of Boeing, which brought together ATK's munitions portfolio with the products and capabilities of a leading military gun manufacturer.

Acquired the assets of Science and Applied Technology, Inc., which added critical precision seeker, guidance, and system-level expertise.

Acquired Composite Optics, Inc., which made ATK the world leader in composite space structures.

Acquired GASL and Micro Craft, which added leading-edge propulsion and airframe technologies for highly demanding aerospace and defense applications.

Acquired Mission Research Corporation, which enabled an advanced aerospace and defense technology pipeline spanning concept development to full-scale production.

Acquired the PSI Group, which strengthened ATK's space systems portfolio and positioned the company to capture emerging opportunities in spacecraft integration and satellite technology.

And Blount used to own:
Gunslick
Weaver
Invisible Gun
RCBS
Outers
CCI
Speer
Alliant Powder
Champion
Estate Cartridge
Shooters Ridge
D-Tect
Fusion

ATK is also a "partner" of Benelli, Beretta and Realtree.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Collins
A side note . . .

Great picture, what "rig" did you use to take it?

I've got a Konica/Minolta Z6 6MP 12x optical and a super macro... I actually had to use photoshop to down-res the picture. That image was originally 2000 pixels across. For Super Macro it's THE best unit I've seen. and with the 12x zoom and anti-shake it's working well as an everyday camera as well. 4-AA bateries means no problems if I need more juice. And NO, I don't work for them, I'm just a happy customer.

Collins

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
Dat be de' real ting boss. The steel penetrator tip works great on feral cats. Big Grin

LD

No steel pen in these... Frowner

Collins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't 5.5 Nato loaded hotter than SAAMI 223? This shouldn't present a problem for anyone's rifle, but in the one a trillion chance that something did go wrong, it seems to me that a lawyer might find legal grounds for a law suit.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
From what I've read there is no pressure spec on NATO. Since this is commercial ammo I'm betting that the cases only are mil-spec. I think it's a deal and I think I'll buy another case for Plinking and then reload PFL resized for competition...

Collins

one of us
posted Hide Post
The difference between the 5.52 Nato and commercial ammo is mostly in the bullets used, seating depth and throat design. The mil spec chambers have longer freebores, set up to work with the military ammo. Watch it, military ammo *can* be dangerous when fired in a gun chambered for .223 Rem. It depends on the throat of the individual gun.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
Nothing really spectacular! Take a look at what ATK owns:

Selected to operate Lake City Army Ammunition Plant, the U.S. Government's only small-caliber ammunition manufacturing facility.

Acquired the commercial ammunition businesses of Blount International, which made ATK the nation's largest manufacturer of ammunition.

Acquired the ordnance business of Boeing, which brought together ATK's munitions portfolio with the products and capabilities of a leading military gun manufacturer.

Acquired the assets of Science and Applied Technology, Inc., which added critical precision seeker, guidance, and system-level expertise.

Acquired Composite Optics, Inc., which made ATK the world leader in composite space structures.

Acquired GASL and Micro Craft, which added leading-edge propulsion and airframe technologies for highly demanding aerospace and defense applications.

Acquired Mission Research Corporation, which enabled an advanced aerospace and defense technology pipeline spanning concept development to full-scale production.

Acquired the PSI Group, which strengthened ATK's space systems portfolio and positioned the company to capture emerging opportunities in spacecraft integration and satellite technology.

And Blount used to own:
Gunslick
Weaver
Invisible Gun
RCBS
Outers
CCI
Speer
Alliant Powder
Champion
Estate Cartridge
Shooters Ridge
D-Tect
Fusion

ATK is also a "partner" of Benelli, Beretta and Realtree.

Beginning to resemble a "monopoly"??

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Eventually to change its name to "Skynet"!

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote