New
Find
Notify
Tools

Northfork Bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've read several posts on the accuracy of Barnes Triple Shock & Groove bullets but I don't recall anyone using Northfork bullets. Anyone have first hand knowledge of their accuracy?

Posts: 83 | Location: Ut | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ktg,

I shoot the 200gr NF exclusively in my Warbird. Groups average around 3/4" all day long and I can't ask for more than that. I have taken 11 heads of game with the 200gr with no failures but no recoveries either.

Check out Mike's page at www.northforkbullets.com.

Good Luck

True Eyes

<phurley>
posted
ktg --- I shoot the North Fork bullet in 7mm STW, .300 Ultra Mag, .340 Wby, .358 STA and .416 Rem. I have been able to obtain pin point accuracy with all those mentioned. The 7mm bullet would give me 1 inch groups only, which is very respectible for hunting. Mike Brady at North Fork changed the design of the 7mm, now I get the pin point accuracy I was getting with the other chamberings, meaning all shots touching each other for a three shot group. I have yet to find a more accurate Premium bullet. ------ I have not shot nor have I seen others shoot the Groove or Triple shock bullets. I don't speculate on bullets I have not shot. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just recently got a box of North Forks. Accuracy is impressive, have not tried them on game yet, but I am not too worried given the "props" Senor Atkinson gives them. I gotta order a couple more boxes soon.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've reloaded the 225gr for my .340 wby. The accuracy was very good, just under an inch. I have not gotten a chance to use them on game yet. The one thing I have noticed is the lack of fouling in the barrel. Try them and I'll bet you'll love them. Good luck

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The North Forks on the average have the best accuracy of all the premium bullets. The one exception is the 7mm was a little funny, Mike Brady found this out, they're cured now I imagine. I've shot them in .375 H&H, 7mm and getting ready to order some 370 gr .416 for the Rigby. I shot some plains game in Africa with the 270 gr .375's, shot through everything but a lengthwise shot on an oryx, and a hartebeest, recovered weight of these two was 265 and 266 grains. They shot through a zebra stallion, breaking the off shoulder knuckle, oryx broadside, still open better than any premium bullet on smaller game except maybe a Nosler partition. I can't wait to slam a 370 grain .416 into a cape buffalo or two.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used them last year on Zebra, 2 Kudu, 6 Impala, Eland and shot them into 3 Buffalo with my 416 Rem. Mauser...

I recovered 8 bullets, all perfectly mushroomed looking just like the pictures on the brochures. Amazingly I recovered two bullets from spine shots on Buffalo and Eland, both were picture perfect, and that is unreal, those big spines are designed to destroy the best of bullets, not so the Northforks...I have shot some deer and one antelope with them and got the same results..They expand better and more positive than a Nosler, but do not out penitrate a Nosler.

If I want more penitration I use Nosler but I get less cross section and less tissue distruction...Both are great bullets and both serve a purpose.

They have proven the most accurate bullets I have shot in all my guns, again thats amazing.
A great bullet, any way you cut it.

Posts: 42004 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I'll give 'em a try.

Posts: 83 | Location: Ut | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote