Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Reloading for Semi-automatics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will try to explain....

When a factory uses a reamer it starts out new and gets smaller as it is used and re-sharpened, so you get different size chambers..they have a max and a minimum chamber...Autos do not have the camming power of a bolt thus the advent of small base dies...

You may not need one with your auto, but this gentleman does....

Yes, a small base die will return your nickel cases back to specs and work in your minimum chamber...A minimum chamber is desirable in any rifle...

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Get a small base sizing die for your reloading of the .308 in your autoloader and it will go a very long way in keeping you from having any feed problems.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I vaguely remember a member at the club saying that he had problems reloading .308 ammo for his semi-automatic. Given that I am thinking of buying a Browning ShortTrac in .308, I wonder if anyone has experience in reloading for BARs?

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Does it mean that the factory ammos are loaded according to the small base spec?

Danny, acually small base dies bring the brass closer to factory spec. There are tolerances allowed in anything that is manufactured. The SB dies attempt to return the brass to the small end of the tolerance and size a bit farther down the case body. The head of your cases don`t expand as much as the case body as the brass is thicker but do show some expantion. Regular dies stop sizeing a bit short of the case head,The SB dies will work the brass in this area.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote